"Obviously." I mumble.

"But we are number one in California when it comes to one disturbing little detail. Since opening, more than any other motel in California, we have the most guest suicides."

"One-hundred and ninety-eight?" I ask shocked.

"And counting."

》》》

"One-hundred and ninety-eight?" Allison asks after we told her what happened as she towel dries her hair.

"Yes, and we're talking forty years. On average, that's four point nine five a year, which is - actually expected." Lydia explains. "But who commemorates that with a framed number? Who does that? Who?"

"All suicides?"

"Yes." I tell her. "Hanging, throat-cutting, pill-popping, both-barrels-of-a-shotgun-in-the-mouth suicides. I don't know about you but me, I..."

"Which - which one do you want?" I cut myself off as I hear a man talking.

"Did you hear that?" Lydia asks.

"Hear what?" Allison questions confused.

"I heard it." I mumble out as Allison looks between the both of us.

"I don't know. The smaller one, I guess." A woman says as Lydia and I look towards an airvent.

"It's okay. Smaller's better. There's less kick." The man says and Lydia gets up as she stands on the bed close to the airvent. I stand up as well as I also get closer to it. "I'll chamber the round. All right, so..."

The woman cuts the man off.

"Wait, wait. When do I - I mean, do - do you count?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'll - I'll - I'll count to three."

"So after three or on three?"

"You tell me."

"Lydia?" Allison asks as she starts to breath heavy. "Zoey?" A tear slips down my face as I listen.

"One, two," The woman explains. "Then pull the trigger."

"I love you."

"I love you too." They say their loves before the man starts to count.

"One, two..." A gunshot is heard as Lydia and I gasp and both back away from the vent.

"What is it, Lydia? Zoey, what happened?" Allison asks as we both look to her.

"Didn't you hear that?" Lydia asks her.

"Hear what?"

"How could you not hear that?" I ask Allison. "I heard it clear as day."

"The two people in the other room. They shot each other." Lydia rushes out and I'm the first one out of our room as Lydia then Allison follow behind.

"Lydia, Zoey." Allison calls as the two of us open the door to the room next door to us.

"Hello?" Lydia calls out.

I flicker the light switch, but none of the lights turn on as Lydia and I slowly walk into the room.

"What are you two doing?"

"Hello?" Lydia calls out again as we try our best to see in the dark room. I find a big table light as I flick the switch on and the room lights up. Allison is behind us and we look around the room to see it looks to be in the middle of renovating.