3x05

Quote: "You don't stop being a soldier because you got wounded in battle."

Published: July 16, 2018

|

Chapter 5: "Frayed"

"Back to your seat!" Coach yells out to a student after he blows his whistle. I sigh as I lean back on my seat on the bus. We are on our way to a cross country meet and Scott and Stiles are stitting behind me as we sit in the very back of the bus.

"Yo, Scott." Stiles says snapping his fingers as he tries to get his attention. "Hey, you, Scotty? Still with me?"

"Yeah, sorry. Uh, what's the word?" Scott asks as they get back to studying.

"Anachronism."

"Something that exists out of its normal time."

"Nice. Okay, next word - incongruous."

"Um, can you use it in a sentence?" He asks Stiles.

"It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right, on our way to some stupid cross-country meet after what just happened." I say before Stiles can. "Incongruous."

"Out of place, ridiculous, absurd." Scott answers.

"Perfect. Okay, next word. Um, Darach. Darach, it's a noun." Stiles says as both Scott and I look over to him.

Yesterday we just found out that the thing behind all of the murders is called a Darach. The information was just found out after Mr. Harris was taken and now he is presumably dead, which we don't know if he is or not.

"We have to talk about it sometime, okay?" He continues on. "And we're gonna be stuck on this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?" We don't say anything and he goes onto the next word. "Next word - intransigent."

"Stubborn, obstinate." Scott answers.

The bus goes over a bump in the road and I let out a groan as I barly hear Scott do the same.

"Oh, you two okay?" Stiles asks us. "We shouldn't have come. I knew it. We shouldn't have come."

"We had to." I tell him as I'm in a worse state than Scott. "There's a thing that I like to call safety in numbers."

"Yeah, well, there's also death in numbers." He retorts back. "Okay? It's called a massacre - or bloodbath, carnage, slaughter, butchery, wow that's..." Scott groans again and I hiss in pain. "Alright, Scott, Zoey, I'm telling Coach."

"No. No, no, no. I'm alright." Scott quickly stops him as Stiles looks to me and I nod in reassurance.

"Well, you don't look alright. Would you two just let me see it?"

"We're okay." I tell him.

"Just let me see it, okay?"

"Okay."

Scott lifts his shirt up to show Stiles deep claw marks on his left side over his ribcage.