Creating a Masterpiece (Markus x Reader)

Start from the beginning

"Isn't it magnificent?" He enthused. 

"Why did he paint me?" You murmured. Carl looked over at you. You felt awe but also confusion. Why would Markus want to paint you of all things? Instead Carl responded with another question. 

"What do you think of Markus [F/N]?" 

"Markus is nice..." You started, wondering where he was going with this. "He has taught me so many things that I never would have even dreamed of trying. Of course I like Markus."

"But... how do you see him?" He prompted. You obviously looked confused by his question, so he added, "Do you see him as merely a machine?"

"No!" You quickly said. "Markus is not like any of them. He's not a machine!" Carl smiled.

"I agree." He moved his wheelchair carefully closer to the canvas. "You know [F/N], ever since I introduced Markus to you, something... something has been different about him. It's almost as if you have given him life."

You straight away denied the possibility. But Carl kept insisting the change, and you couldn't help but believe the old man. You were about to leave when Carl asked you one more question.

"[F/N]... excuse the intrusive question but please be honest. Do you care for Markus?" You felt your cheeks turn red. "Don't dodge the question either, you know what I mean." He smiled.

After a moment, you replied quietly, "Yes... I love Markus. More than anyone else." There was a silence, so you continued. "Markus is the one who has given me life, not the other way around. But... these feelings are wrong. I know that. And so as much as I love him, I know we cannot be together."

Lost in your words as you were, you didn't hear the slight creak of the door behind you, or with your back turned to it, see the figure of the very same Markus, who had heard every single word.

---

After that incident, you distracted yourself with your paintings for some time. Coming to terms with your sudden feelings for Markus was difficult, but you couldn't deny the way you felt. And soon you found yourself standing in front of the house again, your legs moving towards the door. You were about to ring the doorbell when you felt yourself pulled back. You didn't have to look to know who it was. You already knew the feeling of his hand on yours. 

"Why haven't you been coming around?"

"I-I don't know..." You mumbled, as you turned to look at Markus, his beautiful green eyes piercing into yours. You always loved those eyes.

"I still haven't heard your response directly," He said. You didn't know what he was talking about. "What did you think of the painting...?" He continued to stare at you deeply, as you pondered over his question. The painting? Which painting? The one he painted...? You felt your cheeks turn red. "I know you saw it."

"I-I'm sorry..."

"I wanted you to see it. It was for you," He replied quickly. You hesitated.

"I-I thought it was beautiful...But..." You sighed and asked him the question that had been on your mind all this time. "Why did you choose to paint me?"

You gazed at each other for a long moment. He didn't take your eyes from yours. It was as if time had stopped.

"Because it's you," He replied softly. You couldn't prepare yourself for what happened next. His lips crashed onto yours. You stood there, eyes closed, and in that moment it felt as if you and Markus were the only ones on Earth. When he pulled away, you didn't know how to respond. Markus also looked surprised at his sudden response to you.

"I love you..." You whispered. He put his hand on yours, his skin deactivating slightly.

"I love you too."

---

Since that day, you spent all your free time with Markus. You had never felt so happy. Markus meant everything to you. You couldn't imagine your life without him. You would do everything together. Your paintings took on a new happier tone that they never had before; And you encouraged him to continue work on his own paintings, even though he insisted he wasn't programmed to do it.

One day you walked into the room and saw a small box on the table. You picked it up in confusion. It was had a velvety texture to it.

"Open it," Markus said behind you. You turned to look at him, picking up the box. "It's for you." You cautiously opened the box. Inside was a small ring. You didn't know what to say.

"I want you to have it," He murmured. "Put it on any finger you want." He put his hand over yours, still holding the opened box. "But don't do it now... I want you to think about it and give me your response tomorrow..." You could feel tears welling up in your eyes. You couldn't speak, so you nodded. You hugged him, already knowing how you would respond to his request.

But he never got to see it.

The next morning you arrived at the house, walking up the steps, eager to see him once more.  But when you rang the doorbell, a man that was neither Carl nor Markus answered. You hadn't seen him before, but he seemed familiar.

"E-Erm... I'm here to see Carl Manfred." You mumbled nervously. The way the man stared at you made you uncomfortable.

"Carl is dead," He replied. You only just noticed his bloodshot eyes; like he had been crying.

"W-What... no he couldn't be. I was talking to him yesterday," Suddenly you felt your heart sink. "Where's Markus?"

"What do you want with plastic prick?"

"Where is he?! Where's Markus?! What did you do to him?" You pushed past him, panicking now. The house looked disheveled, as if there were signs of a struggle.

"He's gone to where he should be. The trash." The man smiled.

"No... No Markus is alive!! You're lying!!" Your whole world was destroyed. You felt your knees collide with the floor. You couldn't believe him. You didn't want to believe him. Markus never even got to see your response.

So when you heard rumors of an android uprising a year later, and its leader named Markus, you couldn't deny that you felt a spark of hope. Perhaps Markus had survived. You saw an android's face on a hijacked broadcast across the news and you recognized it. You couldn't not recognize the face of the man you loved. On your search for him, you heard of a place called Jericho, from some androids you saw going after it.

That led you to where you were now. You had only just come across the freighter when a group of androids discovered you, and took you in; And now you sat kneeled, facing the man you loved. And even after all that time, you still remembered him so well. He stood facing you, wearing a long trench coat. Once the others left, the room was quiet, and it was just the two of you.

"Markus..." You murmured, tears welling in your eyes. He rushed to you and pulled you into his arms; And suddenly you were home.

"I thought you were dead... I didn't think I would ever get to see you again," He whispered. You held onto him, never wanting to let him go again.

"I never gave up on finding you... Even after all that time, I still had hope you were alive." You looked into his eyes, one now a deep blue colour. He touched your face. "I never got to show you my response." You held up your left hand to him, clearly showing the small silver ring on your left ring finger. His eyes became glassy. He held your hand closer to examine it. He kissed your hand.

"After all this is over... let's get married [F/N]," He whispered. "And we'll be together... in a world where we can live as equals." He took your hand, your lips meeting. No matter what this messed up world threw at you, you knew you could both take it on, as long as you were together.