Creating a Masterpiece (Markus x Reader)

Start from the beginning

Much of your days after that were spent visiting the old man at his house in Detroit. Your excuse was to pay a visit to Carl Manfred, but that was only part of the reason why you wanted to visit. You couldn't deny the connection you had the moment you met Markus, and you simply enjoyed his company. Whenever Markus had a spare moment, at the times when Carl was eating or resting, Markus taught you many things. Sometimes he would teach you how to play piano, or he would show you how to play chess. He would always ask you about your new paintings, and listen with interest about your process of creating them.

On one morning while you were visiting Carl, he offered to let you try painting using his new oil paints. At first you politely declined, but Carl insisted, saying he truly wanted you to try them, to which you agreed. 

When no one was looking, you carefully put the paint to the canvas, blending the oil colours with ease. Suddenly you weren't in Carl's studio anymore, but somewhere else, deep in your own thoughts, with only the sounds of the brush on the canvas in your mind. When you had finally finished, you stood back. You couldn't deny that it was your best piece. 

"It's beautiful."

You gasped, turning quickly. Markus was standing behind you. How long had he been watching? Without thinking, you moved in front of the canvas. You felt your cheeks flush.

"There's nothing to be embarrassed about." He continued quietly, "It looks wonderful."

"I-It's not really..." You said, feeling embarrassed. Markus took your hand suddenly, and moved you out of the way of the canvas. 

"You seem like such a happy person... so why do all of your paintings seem so sad?"

You gazed up at your work. You couldn't help but agree. All of your paintings seemed to have dark or sad undertones to them. "My paintings are like a diary to me," You replied. "Instead of showing the times I am sad or upset on the surface, I can show it through my paintings. Do you do that too Markus?" Markus looked at you quietly. You glanced away. For a moment, you had forgotten that he is only an android. You started to apologise, when he replied.

"I-It's not in my program to paint... So I have never tried it."

"But... did you ever want to try it?"

He didn't reply. But when you glanced in his direction and saw his thoughtful expression, you decided that maybe he did.

About a week after that incident, you had bought some new paints you thought Carl would like, and decided to pay a visit to him. You let yourself in as you always did, and walked towards the living room to find Carl sitting and gazing out the window.

"Carl. I brought you some new paints."

"[F/N], I'm so glad you're here." He turned, beaming at you.

"What is it?" You looked around. "Where's Markus?"

"Markus is upstairs preparing my room. You've come at the perfect time," He enthused. "There is something I must show you. Something truly remarkable."

Hesitantly, you followed the old man outside to his studio, where he moved in front of a canvas covered by a sheet. He explained that he asked Markus to paint something, and after he insisted, Markus painted what was now hidden underneath the sheet. He thought that you may be interested in it, and you agreed to see the painting. Slowly he removed the sheet.

You couldn't speak. You stood there in shock and awe staring at the painting in front of you. 

It was you. Not you the way you saw yourself, but the person you wanted to be. You looked bright, a smile across your face. You glowed in the painting, as if you were some kind of angel. You couldn't take your eyes from it, and neither could Carl.