thirty eight (part two)

my plastic fork twirls the mush on my plate, my cheek resting on my fist as i sit alone in the corner of the canteen. all the other prisoners had people to sit with, but of course, i was the outcast.

my lips chatter together as i sigh, my eyes looking around the prison. all the women seemed so tight with each other, like if they needed someone to have their back, they'd have it. unfortunately, i did not. but i seriously needed it.

"y/l/n" a woman spoke deeply above me. i glanced up to see annabelle, the toughest girl in my block. her name is very deceiving, but she's a monster. she stabbed all seventeen of her ex boyfriends before she was caught and got locked up with a triple life sentence.

"i hear you're the chick that's dating the cop from new york" she says, slamming her hands onto the metal table before me. my posture stiffens as i begin to become anxious. this woman could kill me with one punch.

"am i wrong?"

"n-no" i stutter, wishing i was anywhere but here. she smiles menacingly, looking at her backup.

"that cop arrested me ten years ago. for shoplifting!" she yelled at me, sliding my tray off the table, my lunch falling onto the floor. i wasn't too bothered, there was no way i was going to eat that.

"h-how do you know it was him?" i ask her, immediately regretting my decision. she leaps over the table, grabbing my shirt and pulling me up so we were face to face.

"jake peralta?" she asks, her breath hitting my face. my eyes close, trying to avoid tears.

"get her" annabelle whispers, throwing me to the ground. the women shout and cheer as they attack me. punches hit my face, kicks hit my stomach, i was in agony as i was being beat up on the canteen floor.

a woman broke my nose, one of my teeth were knocked out, a clump of hair was ripped from my head and i'm pretty sure i had an array of broken bones; especially ribs.

it was thirty seconds for the prison guards to notice what was happening to me and intervene. it was a short length of time but that was all these feral prisoners needed.

i was carried off the floor, barely able to walk. three guards lead me to the doctors office for the second time this week. i hold a cold, damp cloth on my bleeding lip as the guards walk out.

before i could be assessed, the superintendent of the prison burst in.

"y/n  y/l/n?" she asks, looking down at her clipboard. i nod my head, still holding my cloth on my face.

"you're being let out. some detectives in brooklyn solved your case and realised that it wasn't you who committed those robberies. your bag's packed" she says, one of the prison guards holding my brown bag. my eyes widen as i jump off the table.

jake had solved my case, he lived up to his promise and he solved my case.

the guard who brought me my bag lead me out of the doctor's office and to the front desk. the receptionist there took my files from the drawer and handed them to me. the prison guard told me there was someone waiting for me in the parking lot.

i stepped outside, taking in a deep breath of fresh air. i immediately gasp, holding my chest as it hurt to do so. i look up after clutching my chest, seeing jake on his phone, leant on his car. i limp over, going as fast as i could. before i could reach him, his head snaps up.

"y/n!" he screams, running to me and engulfing my body in his arms. tears start to fall down my face as i hug my boyfriend for the first time in five weeks. i laugh, trying my best to wrap my arms around him too. after a minute, i had to push jake off me due to my injuries. i wince, keeping myself up on jake's car.

"what happened to you?" he whispers, holding his hand under my chin so he could look at me. his fingers touch my facial wounds, a sharp breath coming from me.

"what did they do to you?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper once again.

"they knew you were my boyfriend and they knew you were a cop" i tell him, a sad tear now slipping down my face. jake closes his eyes momentarily before opening them again.

he stares down at me before leaning down. his lips connect with mine and it felt like we were kissing for the very first time. his hands fell to his waist as his hips came forward. as best i could, my arm raises and wraps around the back of his neck. as broken as we were, we both smiled into the kiss, both being so happy that after all these months, we had finally gained freedom.

we had finally gained freedom.

a/n  i have over 20k reads on this book. that's absolutely incredible. thank you so so much to every single one of you who reads this book, i really hope you enjoy it and i'm so appreciative and thankful for you