eleven

i shake my head, being forced back to reality by my colleague, who was trying to focus on the stakeout. i mumble an apology, getting my book out and recording the gang's movements that were set out before us.

"are you doing ok? that's like the fourth time you've zoned out in the past hour" charles asks, raising his eyebrows at me. i nod my head, sending him a half convincing smile. he accepts my lie before turning back to the caravan across the street, taking multiple pictures of the movement occurring.

"she's still hung up on peralta" a voice sounds behind us, the pair of us turning to see rosa getting up from the double bed and sitting down at the table, pouring herself some cereal whilst letting out a huge yawn. charles raises his eyebrows again, this time is a very excited manner.

"no i'm not! and besides, he made it clear that he doesn't like me" i claim, sadness laced into my tone. charles pulls his face a little, slumping in his seat.

"i love amy, i do. i just believed that he liked you, that you were the one!" charles exclaimed, seeming more upset than me. i shake my head at his words.

"yeah well all that 'he's the one' stuff is crap! none of it's true" i reply, checking the time on my phone before logging it all into the book.

a knock on the door prevented charles from saying anything else to me. i got up from my chair, opening the door to see jake, amy and terry stood there with the same equipment as us.

"oh yeah, today's swap day" rosa said, charles and i both turning to her.

"i didn't tell you?" she says, pulling her lips before packing her things up, ready for home. i sigh in annoyance, not being told that the relief team was coming today. i allow my fellow police colleagues into the room, opening the door wide for them.

"charles, fill us in" terry demanded, placing himself down in the seat that was previously preoccupied by me.

as charles briefed terry on the last four days, i sit on the bed and pack my things away, stuffing underwear and pyjamas into my black bag. as i do so, i see jake and amy stood real close a few feet away from me.

"sometimes i hate stakeouts like this. i get so tired" amy complains, folding her arms grumpily over her chest. jake smiled, holding her hands.

"well, at least you're here with me" he says, smiling and pressing a kiss to her lips. my nostrils flared as i angrily stuffed my things into my bag. rosa noticed my anger and then pieced together why i was angry. her eyes widened momentarily before she left the room, quick.

"ok i'm gonna get into the car. terry, tell me if anything develops, i'll get it back to holt" i suggest, totally bypassing my other two co workers. he nods his head, shaking my hand. i leave charles to pack his things before going into the hallway, or should i say storming into the hallway, waiting for charles.

as i'm stood there, i release my anger onto the wall, banging my clenched fist against it.

by now, i guess you're wondering why i'm so mad.

it occurred around five or six weeks ago. i was on a short stakeout with jake, waiting for a suspected drug dealer to enter his home. whilst we were there, we needed up kissing each other. the chemistry had been laying around us for a while, it's just that neither of us made a move, until that day. after that, we chased the perp, took him back to the precinct and ten minutes after that, jake took me into the evidence lock up. he said he'd been waiting a while for that and would love to take me out. on the night of our scheduled dinner, he cancelled on me and according to charles, he had amy round. apparently, he told amy the same thing he told me and with that, they started dating. and ever since then, i've been avoiding him at all costs; refusing to work cases with him, not going near him, not speaking to him, you get the point.

and so fast forward to today, i'm sure you understand why i'm a little angry. it's not just the fact he decided to be with amy, i really liked him but obviously the feeling isn't mutual.

thinking of the whole situation made a small tear slip down my cheek. i wasn't one to cry over boys but this time, i guess the emotions had caught up with me.

"what was that bang?" a voice asks beside me. i turn my head to see jake running out into the hallway. i wipe my tears and take a deep breath.

"what bang?" i reply, faking confusion.

"there was a bang. are you crying?" he asks me, walking a few steps closer to me. before i could reply, i see rosa coming up the stairs and charles coming out of the room. wiping my tears again, i laugh.

"no of course not. get back inside, you're gonna screw up the case. you seem to be good at screwing things up" i say with a scowl on my face. i walk past him, making sure to bump into him as i go past to show how utterly shady i am. i see rosa covering her mouth with her fist, laughing slightly. jake sighs sadly as charles stands there awkwardly.

i head down the stairs and the new york rain hits my face. i, myself, sadly and angrily sigh before i get into the uc vehicle outside, driving back to the precinct.