twenty three

my pen twirls around in my hand as i bite my nails in worry. this case i've been working on has been driving me crazy and if the stress wasn't enough, if i didn't solve this case in the next twenty four hours, major crimes would take it over. i glance at the evidence i'd already gathered, nothing sprung to mind which made my stress double again for like the third time today.

i could tell that my fellow detectives were avoiding me. terry hadn't gotten any yogurt all day because my desk is near the fridge, amy hadn't told me any fun facts about the manufacturing of binders and gina hadn't told me about her current internet war with the leader of north korea.

the worst part was that jake wasn't talking to me much. i understand that he's busy too at the moment but even when he's been in the bullpen, he hasn't really interacted with me.

i pull my hair and let out an annoyed shriek before walking to the break room. scully was sat there eating a box of donuts and his body immediately stiffened and he stood up, taking his snack with him and sitting back down at his desk. i close my eyes and sigh, picking up the kettle and pouring some coffee into my nypd mug, adding milk and sugar before taking a sip. as i do so, i see charles slowly enter the break room.

"hi. i got you our favourite sandwich from your favourite deli. chicken mayo from joe's" he says, speaking to me like an infant before cautiously placing the sandwich down at the table. i roll my eyes as i sit down at the table, unwrapping the food. charles too had bought a sandwich but he simply placed it down next to the kettle and sat down in front of me. i took a bite out of the sandwich and moaned at how good it tasted.

"am i scaring everyone away?" i ask charles, taking another bite out of my sandwich. he hesitates before he responds, letting out his disagreement squeak. i groan, throwing my lunch down and putting my head in my hands.

"you're not scaring everyone! you're just repulsing them and making it look like it's a bother to be around you" charles said, unexpectedly truthfully. i nod my head, sitting back in my chair.

"it's just that whenever someone tries to talk to you, you're kind of just hurling abuse at them. i mean, just two days ago, jake asked you whether you wanted to go out with him that night and you screamed in his face 'why on earth would i go out with you the smell of dirty cheetos won't help me to solve this case'" charles explained. i nod my head again, remembering that that actually happened yesterday. a realisation came to mind as charles was explaining everything to me.

"where is jake? i haven't seen him since that incident yesterday" i say, looking into the bullpen and seeing his desk empty.

"he's out gathering evidence for a murder he's investigating. after you said that yesterday, he kind of didn't want to come home to you so he stayed at mine, since genevieve and nikolaj are out of town" charles tell me, making my heart sink. i frown, glancing up at my colleague.

"thank you charles. really" i say, standing up from the table and giving him a hug.

"i am going to eat this amazing sandwich and solve this case!" i say, determined not to have it handed over to major crimes.

my motivation burned out within half an hour. i was hunched over my desk, scratching my hand in stress. i did that when i'm under pressure, i've done it ever since fifth grade.

i noticed five minutes ago that jake had returned but he made no attempt to make any type of conversation with me.

"y/n, major crimes have moved the deadline forward. you now have an hour" captain holt comes over to tell me. i frantically nod my head, laughing.

"ok, ok. cool cool cool cool no doubt. that's fine. thanks sir" i say, a satisfied look coming to the captain's face as he walks back to his office. i could physically feel the stress and anxiety building up in my body. my hands shake before one of them throws my pen across my desk.

"damn!" i scream, shooting up from my desk and storming out of the bullpen. uniformed officers and some civilians quickly make a path for me as i come down the hallway. i burst into the ladies bathroom, a woman in there shrieking and quickly going out. i go into a cubicle and slam the door, sitting on the toilet lid with my legs scrunched up to my head rested on my knees. many tears start flowing out of my eyes, loud sobs sounding throughout the bathroom.

this case was so important to me. it was huge and i was so honoured that captain holt assigned it to me. it could have really boosted my career and now it was being taken over and taken away from me.

i continue to cry when i hear the bathroom door open.

"y/n?" i hear jake call out. i try to muffle my cries but it doesn't work, they stay at the same volume. the stall door slowly opens and there jake stands. my bottom lip comes out and i sniffle.

"y/n" he says again but this time with a sympathetic tone. he tuts, his head tilting to the right and he comes into the cubicle. the two of us didn't realise how small it was as i stood up and he came in. he sat down on the toilet lid and patted his lap for me to sit on.

"i'm not a five year old on christmas" i say between sniffles, trying again to stop crying but failing again.

"i don't care. sit down" he demands in a stern tone, patting his lap once again. giving in, i place myself down on him, letting my back lean against the wooden stall wall.

"please don't be stressed about this case. it hurts me so much to see you upset like this. i know it's very important to you but another case like this will come along again and it will be even bigger. your chance will come, you've just gotta let it come" jake explains, rubbing my back as i continuously cry. as he gradually speaks, my tears start to die down.

"you're the most amazing person, girlfriend and detective i know. you don't deserve to be upset like this. also you're really bumming everyone out. like i took three showers this morning because you said i smelt like a dirty cheeto" he says, tilting his head and taking a sniff of his hoodie.

"i'm so sorry about that. i didn't mean any of the stuff i said. to anyone" i apologise, my voice scratchy. he shakes his head, claiming it was okay and he understood.

i smile as jake's thumb comes to my face and wipes my tears. my eyes close as he does so and when they open, i see him leaning up to me. i lean down and press my lips to his, my back coming off the wall and my hand cupping his cheek.

"so, what would you like for christmas?" he asks in a deep voice as he pulls away, stroking his face as if he had a beard like santa. i laugh, shaking my head as i press another kiss to his lips.

"i love you, so much" i say, stroking his face with my fingers.

"i love you too"

a/n sorry i haven't updated in over a week, i went away to wales. anyway, i hope you enjoyed this chapter and i logged in to see i have over 5k reads. that's crazy and amazing thank you guys so much.

also today i watched the peraltiago wedding. i'm in fucking tears that was the most beautiful thing i've ever witnessed seriously i do not deserve a cast like that ok bye