The dragon lifted its head, tilting it back until his snout pointed upward. A laugh rumbled in its throat, mixing with the loud roar of a growl. When its head righted, it sat back on its haunches, spreading its wings outward. Veins stripped the thin membrane of pale blue and gray stretching wide to its side.

"It isn't his magic that needs to be destroyed." The dragon's mouth opened wide, sparks ignited deep in its throat as it let out another roar. The ground shook, air pushed against Siobhan, threatening to knock her over. Wren grabbed her arm as if he was trying to use her to steady himself, she didn't dare take her eyes off the dragon to find out. The breath was rancid, rotting trash in the scorching heat and as hot as the sun.

Still Siobhan stood her ground, daggers raised and ready.

"It is his blood which must be wiped from this world. To allow it to live, to thrive, will be the end of us all."

This time Siobhan spared a glance to Wren. His mouth hung open, eyes wide. He looked to her as he knitted his brow.

"Why?" she asked. "What is he?"

He closed his eyes, wincing. It was the question she was positive he'd asked himself a thousand times since he started hearing voices tormenting him and unleashing magic he couldn't control. As much as magic fascinated him, deep down she knew it frightened him. He burned things he didn't mean to, spread fire where he never intended, and in many ways he lost himself to the madness of his power.

"With respect, Korix, perhaps she must see before she can act," another dragon said. Its voice softer, more feminine, though there was nothing about any of the dragons which suggested they even had a sex. "There is, after all, a little human in her blood. And humans often are bound by the irrational need to see before they decide."

Korix looked to its right where the dragon who spoke bowed, lowering its head to the ground as it looked back.

"Hmm." Korix titled its head, glancing from the bowing dragon to Siobhan. "An interesting suggestion, Jaeda."

Siobhan lowered her daggers, but didn't put them away when Korix looked to the Dragons glass. She nodded and jerked her head for Wren to follow her. None of the dragons moved. They carefully maneuvered around waiting talons and avoided the sharp glare of their golden eyes. Siobhan stepped up the three steps leading to the center of the dais before putting her daggers away. Her hand traced over the cold dark metal of the entwining dragon bodies forming the upside down heart. It wasn't a mirror at all, there was nothing reflective about the surface of the thin glass trapped between the dragons bodies. It was a window, revealing the rest of the room behind it where more dragons, these much smaller in size, almost childlike, waited.

"So are we going to make a run for it?" Wren asked.

"Nowhere to run. They'd slice us up without breaking a sweat."

"Do dragons sweat?"

Siobhan chuckled. "I really have no idea." She looked to him, her hand still resting on the metal. There were so many answers at the tip of her fingers, she needed only ask and the Dragons glass would unleash them all. But none of them were questions she could ask until the one lingering question, the one that had the dragons ready to kill her friend without hesitation, was answered. "Listen to me, Wren, you're not going to like what's going to happen next. I need you to touch the center of the glass and ask a question."

"Wait? Me? Aren't we here for you?"

She nodded. "We'll get to those questions, but right now we have a more pressing one to ask. And that's you."

"So then ask it. You're the one who wants to know why I have magic. I don't care, I just want to control it."

"I know you don't care and I know you don't understand. Honestly, neither do I. There is nothing this can show us that will change how I. . ." She stopped and looked to the dragons. "They're ready to kill you because of something in your bloodline and we need to know what that something is."