CHAPTER SEVEN: NEVER ENOUGH

A FEW WEEKS later, P. T. was released from the hospital. After, it was time to introduce him to my parents. My harsh parents. I've never told P. T. about how brutal they were. Always scaring me and hitting me whenever I did something wrong. When I was 19, I decided to leave my family for good and never go back to that horrible place.
Well, it looked like that promise was broke. I combed my hair to the side and straightened my dress.
I heard a knock on my door and I turned around. It was P. T. all fresh and cleaned up.
I smiled at walked to him, planting a kiss on his soft lips.
"You ready?" P. T. asked. I let out a shaky breath.
"Y-Yeah..." I mumbled. I hugged myself and shuddered. The memories coming back. P. T. wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer.
"Are you alright?" P. T. asked, worriedly.
"Y-Yeah," I muttered. "I'm fine."
He held his arm out and I looped mine through his and we walked out.
My shoulders tensed up once we get there. Smiling and sneering, my parents ran toward me. My mother who had sunset red colored hair and brown eyes hugged me. She was wearing a hat with feathers in it and a beautiful white dress. She pinched my cheeks and I rolled my eyes.
"Philip," my father growled. I looked down, ashamed. I can tell he already knew I was dating P. T.
"Who is this man?" He ordered.
"Allow me to introduce myself, Mr. and Mrs. Carlyle. My name is P. T. Barnum-"
Mom gasped dramatically and Dad's eyes are about the size of golfballs.
"You're that freak ringmaster!" My father gasped. "Are trying to make my son lose his reputation?!"
"Dad! Relax! You're embarrassing me!" I yelled. "He didn't hurt me or anything!"
Dad grabbed me by the wrist and growled like a furious dog. I gulped and squinted my eyes, waiting for the worse.
"Young man, you know not to be with those freaks!" My father cried.
His words cut through me like acid. I gulped again and tried to reason with him.
"He's not a freak! Please! Let's just go inside and talk, okay? Please, Dad! Let us explain!" I begged.
My father let go of me reluctantly. We walked back to my house...more like a mansion.
When we entered, P. T.'s mouth dropped at the sight. The mansion was beautiful. With gold tile floors, marble pillars, a white grand piano in the corner of the ball room and spiral stair cases that led to mine and my parents room.
"How could you ever leave this place, 'Lip?! This is beautiful! Like you!" P. T. awed.
I blushed. "Come on you."
We sat down on the sofa in the living room.
"So, dear," my mother said. "What is it that you want to tell us?"
I bite my lip and looked at my father, who's glaring at me and P. T., his arms crossed over his chest.
"Um...promise me you won't get mad Dad..?" I asked, shyly.
He grunted. I'm guessing that's a yes.
"P. T. and I...well...he offered me a job to be with the circus, which is burned down now. We started out as partners in work but after he made the offer with me, we danced and sing. Anyways, ever since then...we...uh...we've been together...like...together together."
My father growls again.
"Mr. Carlyle, your son is beautiful. Gorgeous even. I would never in my life do anything that will harm him. I swear to you, Mr. and Mrs. Carlyle, I will protect your son with all my heart."
I never knew that he was lying to me. That's right. He was lying to me. A few weeks later, P. T. explained to me that he will be leaving me to watch a woman named Jenny Lin perform. He said that she could possibly help raise money for the circus and to prove to Mr. Winthrop that the show must go on.
When he arrived back, I was fuming. He and Jenny kissed! Kissed! Does he not love me anymore?! Do I mean anything to him?!
He brought Jenny with him. I glowered at her, my arms crossed.
"Honey," P. T. said. "This is-"
"Yeah," I growled. "I know who you are."
Jenny raised her eyebrows.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Carlyle," she said politely. How can my fiancé stand her?! (P. T. proposed to me a few weeks ago). I reluctantly shook her hand.
"She's going to perform for us and the circus. Mr. Winthrop would be there," P. T. explained.
I nodded.
When it was show time, Jenny stood in front of the burned down circus. The others and I stood in front of her, watching as she began to sing.
"I'm trying to hold my breath. Let it stay this way. Can't let this moment end, you set off a dream with me. Getting louder now
Can you hear it echoing? Take my hand, will you share this with me? 'Cause darling without you.
"All the shine of a thousand spotlights. All the stars we steal from the night sky. Will never be enough! Never be enough! Towers of gold are still too little, these hands could hold the world but it'll never be enough! Never be enough!
"For me! Never, never! Never, never, never! For me! For me! Never enough! Never enough! Never enough! For me, for me, for me!
"All the shine of a thousand spotlights! All the stars we steal from the night sky! Will never be enough! Never be enough! Towers of gold are still too little, these hands could hold the world but it'll never be enough! Never be enough!
"For me! Never, never! Never, never! Never, never! For me, for me! Never enough! Never, never! Never enough! Never, never! Never enough! For me, for me, for me!"
Her voice died down and she looked at the concrete road. I still glared at her for kissing my fiancé. But I let her continue anyway.
"For me," she whispered.
The others clapped. Charles nudged me against the ribs and I reluctantly clapped. I've got to admit, that was a beautiful song. Never enough.