PROLOUGE: THE OFFER

I NEVER KNEW I'd be an apprentice. Or a partner for that matter. I just got an offer from Mr. Barnum, the ring master of the Barnum Circus. I never knew I'd join the circus and that P. T. Barnum saved my life and the day he rescued me is the day I instantly fell in love with him. Let me tell you how it all started.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I entered a bar. It was night time, cold and snowing a bit. I opened the door, which creaked. I close it behind me and place my top hat and scarf on the coat rack next to the door. I sat myself on the stool and tapped the table. A waiter, with a bald spot; glasses; and a mustache appeared in front of me.
"Anything I can do for you, sir?" he asked me politely.
"Just a beer please," I replied. He nodded and grabbed a small cup and poured some beer in it and slide it to me.
"You live near by?" The waiter asked while drying a glass.
I nodded. "Yeah, a few miles down the road."
I took a small sip of my beer.
"So...what's your name?" The waiter asked. I gave him a quizzical look.
"Why do you want to know...?" I inquired suspiciously. He smirked as he put the glass back on the brown, wooden shelf.
"Just curious," he said.
"Philip...Philip Carlyle..." I answered. I set my glass down gently and folded my hands on the table.
The waiter smiled, revealing two crooked teeth. I gulped. I get the feeling that this man is not someone to be around with.
"Philip," he muttered. "What a beautiful name."
"Why do you ask?" I demanded.
"No reason," he said.
I get up to use the restroom but the waiter follows me. I started to get uncomfortable. Feeling like he's going to attack me or kidnap me. I am the son of the finest people in London.
I open the door to the male's bathroom but the waiter grabbed my wrist. I yelped in surprise and punched him. I rushed to the stall and slammed the door shut, locking it, breathing heavily. Suddenly, I heard a male voice.
"Hello?" The male asked. "Anyone here?"
I heard the waiter leave and talking to the man.
"Hello," the waiter answered. "Anything I get you?"
"Um...yes. A beer please," the man replied.
A few seconds later, I slowly unlocked the bathroom door and poked my head. The man had curly brown hair, he seemed to be in his middle 30's. He had a white shirt, a brown vest, and a blue tie. My eyes widen as I realized who the man was. It was Phineas Taylor Barnum. Or P. T. Barnum, the ring master of the Barnum circus.
We made eye contact for a split second and I felt my cheeks go warm. I closed the door and slid against the wall, feeling embarrassed. I heard footsteps coming close and I instantly ran toward the bathroom stall, locking it, thinking that it's the waiter. But I was wrong.
"Hello? Anyone here?" P. T. asked softly.
I cautiously opened the stall and poked my head out, blushing like a girl talking to her crush.
P. T. smiled softly at me and holds out his hand. I shook it and felt a spark.
"What's your name?" P. T. asked.
"P-Philip," I stuttered. "Philip Carlyle."
"Philip. Beautiful name. Name's P. T. Barnum."
A few minutes later after introducing ourselves, we walk back out to the bar. We sit next to each other and drank our beers.
"Mr. Carlyle...I want to make you an offer..." Barnum said, so suddenly I nearly jumped out of my seat.
"Ok," I replied and took another sip of my beer and drank it.
"I want you to join the circus."
I spat my beer out, making it land on the waiter who gives me a look of disproval. I gulped and looked back at P. T.
"W-What? Y-You serious?" I said.
"Yes."
"OF COURSE I'LL JOIN!"
We started to sing and dance in the bar. P. T. spun me around and then I jumped on the table and danced. We danced until our legs couldn't take it.
We collapsed on the floor, laughing. My mind focusing on Barnum and his smile. I just knew that this well be a huge milestone in my life.