CHAPTER FOUR: THIS IS ME

"WHAT?! WHY?!" I screamed.
The man chuckled. "Because they're freaks! Do you even know who I am, Mr. Carlyle?"
P. T. put a protective arm around me, pushing me behind him. The others stood next to him, also protecting me, and glaring at the man. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Do I know this man?
"Get away from him Mr. Winthrop. He is none of your concern," P. T. growled.
"I am the critique, Mr. Carlyle. I review this show and with the freaks and the uhm...business you and Mr. Barnum have going on, well, the show's cancelled. Permanently. No more shows. No more business," the man explained.
"You can't do this!" I protested. P. T. gives me a warning look.
"Philip-" P. T. started but I cut him off.
"Are you serious! You're seriously letting him do this?! I mean...P. T. ...this is your dream! You can't let him tell you what to do!" I pointed a finger at Mr. Winthrop who just smirked.
"If you can find a way, Mr. Carlyle to prove to me the circus must go on...then I'll let you and Mr. Barnum continue the show. However, if not, then we'll burn down this business...and by the way...you are beautiful Mr. Carlyle," he said. Mr. Winthrop took my hand in his and kissed the back of it. I just glared at him.
"Don't touch him!" The bearded lady snarled at Mr. Winthrop.
Mr. Winthrop chuckled and walked off.
"We can't let him do this!" I protested. The others looked down, knowing that there'll be no way to stop Mr. Winthrop.
The bearded lady plopped herself on the bench and the others did so too. I felt guilty. This was my boyfriend's dream! He found friends! A family! He found me!
"I am not a stranger to the dark," the bearded lady hummed. "Hide away, they say, 'cause we don't want your broken parts. I've learned to be ashamed of all my scars. Run away, they say, no one'll love you as you are."
My expression softens. I felt terrible for these people. P. T. had worked so hard to put this circus together and now people are vandalizing it because of his employees! Calling them freaks! I wish there was something I can do...something to make my boyfriend love me more and make these people his family.
"But I won't let them break me down to dust, I know that there's a place for us, for we are glorious! When the sharpest words wanna cut me down, I'm gonna send a flood; gonna drown them out. I am brave, I am bruised, this is who I'm meant to be, this is me. Look out cause here I come! And I'm marching on to the beat I drum! I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me," the bearded lady sang.
She got up and grabbed my hands, pulling me onto the ring. I beamed at her and she smiles back and we started to dance. I spun around, my dress twirling beautifully around me. She continued to sing.
"Another round of bullets hit my skin, well fire away cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through the barricades and reaching for the sun!" She sang. I can tell she's singing it with all her heart. It has such a powerful meaning!
The others chimed in and P. T. joined me in my dancing and twirled me around. The bearded lady smiled at P. T. and I as she continued to sing, backing up to where the others stood, in front of a bench, watching us dance.
"We are warriors!" The others sang.
"Yeah, that's what we've become!" The bearded lady sang.
"That's what we've become!" The others chimed in.
"I won't let them break me down to dust, I know there's a place for us. For we are glorious! When the sharpest words wanna cut me down, I'm gonna send a flood; gonna drown them out! I am brave, I am bruised, this is who I'm meant to be, this is me! Look out cause here I come! And I'm marching out to the beat I drum! I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies, this is me!"
The others hummed "ohs" for about five-six times before the bearded lady continued to sing.
"And I know that I deserve your love, cause there's nothing I'm not worthy of. When the sharpest words words wanna cut me down, I'm gonna send a flood; gonna let it drown. This is brave, this is proof. This is who I'm meant to be, this is me.
"Look out cause here I come! And I'm marching out to the beat I drum! I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies, this is me! When the sharpest words wanna cut me down, I'm gonna send a flood; gonna drown them out. I'm gonna send a flood; gonna drown them out. I'm gonna send a flood; gonna drown them out. Oh, this is me!" The bearded lady finally finished her inspirational song.
P. T. smiled widely at me as he dipped me and kissed me on the lips. We break apart and I laughed as the others cheered and clapped. P. T. helped me stood back up and I walked over to the bearded lady, smiling.
"That was such a beautiful song, Miss-" I said.
"Lettie Lutz. You can call me Lettie," she introduced. She held her hand out and I shook it.
"Pleasure to meet you," I said. "That was such a beautiful song!"
She blushed. "Aww, thanks Phil."
I chuckled and then frowned, remembering what Mr. Winthrop has said.
"You okay, Philip?" P. T. asked, putting an arm around my shoulders, pulling me closer to him.
"Y-Yeah...it's just...we need to figure out how to prove to Mr. Winthrop that this circus must go on!"