• Chapter 20 •

Start from the beginning

"Then why are you shutting me out right now?"

"Because, Killian, you don't even want me there!" Emma exclaimed. She rubbed her eyes, clearly stressed out. The weight of her work with all her wonder and worry concerning whatever existed between her and Killian was too much. And it was getting to her. Emma blinked back stupid tears that decided to emerge.

"What are you talking about, Emma?" Killian asked. He was far beyond confused.

"The stupid game, that's what. You don't want me there, so why would you want me in the rest of your life?" She muttered, rubbing her eyes again. Maybe she was overreacting a bit, but after everything she'd experienced with people, who could blame her? She'd been unwanted her whole life.

It hurt to think she could be wrong about Killian being different. Her back was to him. No way she'd turn and let him see her so damn torn right now.

"That's what this is about?" Killian asked, almost amused.

Emma got up and faced him.

"Yes, Killian, that's what this is about. Cause I-I care about you, and I don't get you. One minute you're kissing me, and the next you're telling your friends that I have plans on the night of a game you're invited to when you know that I don't have any. And I-"

She was cut off. By his lips.

"Shut up," he whispered against her lips, kissing her softly. He had to distract her. Get those ridiculous thoughts out of her head. Because there was no way in hell he'd let her believe he was playing with her.

She wanted to kiss him back. She wanted to melt and let him do this.

"No," Emma said, pushing him off with tears spiking her eyes. "Do you kiss every girl you know to shut her up?"

Her heart hurt.

Killian realized... she really thought he didn't care. And that enough could've destroyed him. Kissing her only enhanced her worries. Seeing the pain in her eyes, in her heart, he couldn't take it.

"Oh, Em... please don't cry. You've got to all wrong, love..." Killian said softly, stepping towards her. Emma stepped back.

"You know I care about you, right? More than anything. More than anyone. I told my friends you had plans because you froze. I didn't want you to feel embarrassed, plus I figured a loud crowded stadium isn't exactly your scene, so I said you were busy. Of course I want you there, I would love for you to be there. I was only trying to help," Killian explained, getting closer to her as he spoke.

Oh.

"And I kissed you... well, firstly because, how could I not? How could anyone not?" Killian mumbled, caressing her cheek. He dragged his thumb across her lower lip. Emma's heart was racing. Beating out of her chest. Her breath hitched.

"Secondly, because I sensed you felt as though I didn't care... I wanted to prove that wrong. Bad move on my part," Killian said, scratching the spot behind his neck and circling an arm around Emma's waist.

Oh.

"And lastly, because..." he leaned in by her ear and whispered, "you're cute when you're mad."

How could anyone on the entire damn planet- no, in the entire universe- ever stay mad at him?

Emma blushed, biting her lip. Killian smirked, raising an eyebrow as he nudged her nose with his. Emma gave him a faint smile. Then his face became serious.

"You do know I care about you, right? You know I'd do anything for you?" Killian whispered. Emma looked down and nodded. She felt silly now, for thinking lowly of him. Killian caught her chin and tilted her head back up.