Trust and Betrayal (Revised)

Start from the beginning

"We have to find Rey," Finn said to Rose. The words seemed to bring her out of her thoughts and she frowned. It seemed that whenever Finn mentioned Rey, Rose frowned. Or maybe he was imagining it.

Rose nodded but said nothing. Finn glanced down at the beacon tracker in his hand. It still indicated that Rey wasn't on board the dreadnaught. He was about to tell Rose, when she suddenly ran ahead, into the launch bay area. Then he saw Poe, making his way out of the far doors.

"Poe!" Finn yelled, running after them.

----------

REY

Fifteen minutes.

I tap my comm reader to bring it to life and check the time again. I have only fifteen minutes before the planes take-off. I have to hurry.

I rush around my quarters, Kylo's quarters.

Where is it? I can't go without the beacon. It's my only connection to Finn and Rose. I throw the bed sheets aside, sending the warm, masculine scent of Kylo into the air around me. My pulse races at the unbidden thoughts pushing their way to the surface of my mind. Thoughts of the last time I lay in this bed, with Kylo.

The swish of the door opening behind makes me jump and I realize too late that I'd forgotten to lock it. But I was just planning to quickly run in and out, not expecting to get caught so quickly. I'm afraid to turn around and see Kylo Ren standing there, tall and overbearing, but when I turn it's not Kylo who's there.

"Finn!"

I run to Finn and throw my arms around him, the awkwardness of the spontaneous gesture only hitting me after I've already crushed him in a hug.

"Oh my stars," he breathes. "Rey, I've missed you." He returns the hug, a little too enthusiastically and I draw back. "It's good to see that you're normal, at least," he says, stepping back.

"Normal?" I ask.

Finn catches his breath before continuing. It looks like he's been running and seems on edge.

"Yes," he nods. "I was afraid they'd brainwashed you, too."

"Brainwashed me?" I frown. Has someone been brainwashed? Was it Rose?

"You know." Finn circles his finger in the air, still trying to catch his breath. "Kylo Ren, with his mind tricks."

I sigh. There's no time now for Finn's distrust of Kylo. I'm glad he's returned, safe and sound. That's all that matters. But where's Rose?

I gasp. "Where's Rose? Is she not with you? Is she okay?"

"Yes." Finn pulls on my arm. "Come on. We have to get out of here."

"What do you mean?" I resist his pull, wanting to have the beacon before I leave. "What's going on Finn?"

Finn lets go of me and runs his hands through his hair, making him look even more disheveled and troubled than before. "I'm guessing you weren't at the speech Hux gave earlier."

"I was."

He looks stricken by my response.

"Why?" I ask.

Finn's eyes study mine. "Isn't it strange to you," he says slowly, "that General Leia is working with the First Order?"

I shrug. I'd given up trying to figure it all out. From what Poe has told me, it seems Hux is a capable and logical general. Even General Leia trusts him enough to work with him, which could have something to do with the fact that she's apparently his Aunt. "We're a team now," I say, wanting the conversation to end so I can find the beacon and get out of here. "A lot has happened since you left."

"A team?" Finn gives me a skeptical look. "Rey, what's happened to everyone? The First Order isn't a team player. I should know, I was a storm trooper once. They only conquer and destroy."

I hug my arms around myself. He's right in one way. But this war is too big for us to fight alone. We have no choice but to trust them, even if they didn't earn it.

"We've joined together," I repeat, more to convince myself than Finn. "The other factions have come too, the Space Pirates and the-"

"No." Finn grabs my arms, his eyes wide. "Don't you understand? They'll use them, and us, to fight their war, then once the Ruling Order is defeated the First Order will turn on us and kill us, too. They're just using us. Do you really think they care about the Resistance? Or some Space Pirates?"

"I don't think they're-"

"Snap out of it Rey!" Finn shakes me hard and I yelp in surprise.

"Ow... Let go of me," I say, suddenly concerned with how frantic Finn is getting.

"Sorry." Finn quickly lets go. "I'm sorry. But we need to get away from here."

I rub at my arms. "I know this seems strange to you," I continue, "but a lot has changed since you and Rose left, and I trust the General's judgement."

"Which General?"

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing." Finn shakes his head. "But what if General Leia's judgement has been compromised? It's only been a few days since I last saw you, and now The First Order is our ally?"

I pause. Has it really only been a few days? Surely it's been longer than that. Suddenly an image of Kylo shirtless pops into my mind and my cheeks heat up. Yes, a lot has changed since I last saw Finn.

Finn reaches up to the back of my neck and pull back from him.

"What are you doing?"

A sharp pinch grips me and my jaw clenches tight.

"Sorry, Rey," he says. "You're just not listening to me."

It's the last thing I hear before my eyes flutter closed and I realize that I've been tranquilized by a small device Finn is holding. Then, the world turns black.