Chapter 1

"WOOOO!" I laughed as a jumped over a park bench and slid between a pair of unsuspecting lovers.

"Watch out, Tee!" My sister called from ahead gliding under an open shop window.

I mimicked her move by sliding under the window too as the shop owner peered out of the window, raining some colourful curses at us.

The night was cold and the sidewalks were slippery. There weren't any stars out and the wind blew aggressively. Or maybe it seemed that way because we were running.

I could hear the wind carry my sister's laughter past my ears and I felt invincible. Alive. Not at all afraid that we'd just stolen from four men and almost got caught.

I looked back at the men chasing us, only a few meters away, nearly colliding with everything and everyone in their path.

I caught my sister looking back too, a huge grin on her face before she faced forward, increasing her pace.

She turned left at a curb and I followed suit, coming face to face with the road where there was a railway track across it.

The traffic lights turned amber and the whistle of the train blew loud.

I took a glance at her and she nodded. We were thinking the same thing.

If we got to the other side of those tracks before the train passed, we'd be long gone before our chasers could find us.

We sped across the road in front of the vehicles slowing down at the sight of the traffic light.

The barriers were closing and a boost of adrenaline shot through me.

I ducked under it, ran across the tracks onto the other side of the road, my sister following suit.

A few moments after she jumped over the second barrier, the train sped past.

And without a second thought we sped home.

********************

"Oh my God", Kay heaved, laughing as we finally stopped running. "Did you see that?"

"Yeah, let's never do that again", I laughed, putting an arm around her shoulders.

"That was awesome though, you have to admit", she nudged me in the side, her eyes twinkling with excitement.

"Yeah. It was", I replied, adding under my breath that I'd missed it.

"What? What was that? You missed it?"

"Oh, shut up. You weren't supposed to hear that"

"I know", she laughed again, pausing to bring out one of the wallets in her worn out sling bag.

"Let's see what we have here...", she said. "Fifty five dollars, two cents and a nickel", she added.

As if on cue, my stomach grumbled loudly.

"How 'bout take out?" She asked.

"Or we could save money and just buy bread and milk", I said taking a twenty dollar bill from her hand.

"Oh, come on Tee. It's our night, the least you could do is enjoy it and allow us to get actual food. Good, warm, seasoned food"

The thought of food was comforting and my stomach seemed to agree with her as it grumbled again.

We wouldn't be spending that much anyway. It's already late.

I convinced myself knowing that some of the store owners would eventually end up throwing some of their food away. Therefore, food was sold cheaper at night.