2. The Wacko's Murdering Device

Start from the beginning

"I-uh-ye-sure," I stuttered out, incredibly flustered. I opened the door completely, and stood off to the side so he could walk in. He entered slowly, and took his time looking around. There wasn't much to see, no precious family photos or anything special; it was really just junk lying around. Breaking the awkward silence, I spoke. "Uh, sorry about the mess. If I had known someone was coming I woul-,"

"It's fine, I like it, a lot." I knew he was just being nice, because who would really like this dump?

"Thanks?" It came out more like a question than I'd meant, but he ignored it.

"Look, I uh, I'm sorry about this. I just- I didn't know where to go, and I'm sort of losing my mind," He took a deep breath, before continuing. "I think I just need someone to say that I'm not crazy, because at the moment I'm not so sure."

"You're not crazy, Liam."

He looked up, and our eyes met. A saw the small smile creep onto his face before he stepped forward and put his arms around me. At first I was shocked, really shocked; no one has ever just hugged me before, especially not someone I've just met.

But to say I didn't like it would a be a pretty big lie. It was cold outside, but Liam, he was warm. Even though he was in his blood-stained training gear from lacrosse earlier, I don't think I'd change a thing.

I know it had only been a few seconds, not even, but it felt like an eternity before he pulled away. Before it felt suddenly cold again. "I-I'm sorry I-,"

"It's fine, totally okay," I nodded along, breathing out. I slapped myself on the inside for my choice of words. Totally? God Wren, this is not 2005.

Liam noticed it, because a second later he broke out into a grin, barely containing the laughter that came with it. My face went red, so I attempted to, very poorly, change the subject. "So, did you want something, or?"

"Look, this is probably going to sound weird, but after everything that happened tonight, what the hell? Clumsy, I can't go back home. At least, not tonight. Honestly, I'm scared-but, if you tell anyone that I'll deny it-I, uh, I know we only just met, but you were the only one at the hospital, the only one that half-knows what's happening-,"

He stopped, staring wide-eyed at me, before shaking his head. "Crap, I'm sorry - I shouldn't of come - stupid idea - I'll just g-,"

"Liam," as he was two seconds away from the front door, I grabbed his hand. "Did you need a place to stay?"

-

"I brought blankets!" I walked into my bedroom, after disappearing for a few seconds into our small linen cupboard.
Liam was sat on the edge of my bed, his elbows resting on his knees, and his head down. He looked up when I spoke though, with a small smile on his face.

I dropped the blankets and pillow on the floor. "Okay so you can take the bed; I'm pretty sure you need the mattress way more than I do,"

I got down on my knees and started spreading out the sheets so it was somewhat comfy. When I looked up, Liam was staring at me pretty much like I was crazy. A light bulb turned on inside my head, whether it was the right one, I'm not so sure. "Oh, sorry! Did you want to borrow one of my dad's old shirts? I get it, I wouldn't want to sleep in that either,"

A second of silence passed before Liam burst out laughing. He fell backwards onto the bed, landing on his back as his hand rested on his stomach, trying to contain the laughter. He sat up after a few moments, and I stared at him confused. Wiping the tears from his eyes, he spoke shakily, "Clumsy, you really are clueless."

I raised an eyebrow at him, because I was utterly lost. He noticed it, so he shook his head and said, "you're not sleeping on the floor."

"No seriously, I've fallen onto it heaps of times, sometimes I don't even wake up! Perfectly comfortable," I shrugged.