Loki - Late Nights

2:42...2:43...2:44...

If you had a clock that ticked, surely it would have driven you mad much earlier in the night. But there you were, only driven mad by the silence as you watched the time pass by unbearably slow, one minute dragging into the next. It made no difference that you knew you had to be up the next day for your best friend's wedding or that you, as the maid of honor, had a bunch of errands to do for them before you both walked down the aisle that evening. You were doomed, and you knew it.

With a loud sigh, you accept your future reality of chugging espresso. And with two words, you accept the fact that you might had to make that a double order.

"You either?"

Rolling to your other side, you see your husband, whom you had thought went to sleep hours ago. And you wished he had, for as the bouncer, he must be on high alert for the wedding, especially given that your friend's ex was rumored to be on their way to crash it. But there Loki was, laying in that hotel bed, playing with a strand of your hair as you stared back into his sleepless eyes.

"I guess I'm just anxious about tomorrow."

"My love, you'll do just great," he whispers, placing a kiss on your forehead. "And given the authority of my role, if anyone has a problem with anything you do, they will be—"

"Nicely," you say, smiling softly, causing a grin to cross his lips.

"Alright; I'll pulverize them the next day."

"Much better," you confirm, pecking his lips softly. "Tomorrow is gonna be a long day, and now without sleep, I fear that I'm not going to enjoy it as much."

With sadness in his eyes, he rubs your back, looking at you innocent-like before looking out to the windows, curtains opened to the night sky. With a delicate smile, he looks back down at you, a glimmer of excitement causing his heart to skip a beat.

"Care to watch the stars with me?"

***

The beach was not too far away, so close that you both walked there. It was hard to believe that in twelve hours, people would be out on it to set up for the wedding, but for now it was barren, lifeless, the water kissing the sand only to recede. It was the constant break-up and make-up of the shore and the tide that relaxed your nerves as you both walk barefoot across the sand, shoes carried in his and your hand.

"This looks good," Loki affirms, shuffling his feet into the sand as if snuggling into a blanket. Laying out the bedsheet like a towel, he beckons you to sit, stretching on his legs as you do so.

"So....we just sit here?"

"That's the general idea."

"Would this get boring?"

"Shh, I'm trying to be romantic."

With a giggle, you snuggle next to him. You knew it was going to be cold out by the water, but you misjudged it too warmly, not having enough layers. Thankfully, Loki did; unzipping his hoodie, he encloses you in his warmth, closing it up as much as he can over you both.

A few minutes of silence go by, and he can already tell that you're getting slightly bored.

"(Y/N), let me tell you something that my mother told me." With intrigue, you look at him, and he grins, holding you close and observing the sky. "Look at the stars. The great kings of the past—"

"This is not the Pride Lands, Mufasa!" you exclaim as your wondering gaze quickly turns into a deadpan look, causing Loki to laugh.

"It worked for a bit, give me some credit!"

With a chuckle, you cuddle more into him. "Okay, since you wanna bring that up, tell me an actual story."

Loki looks out the horizon for a bit, and you know he's thinking, trying to remember the perfect story from the millions of ones his mother had shared with him. After a moment, his eyes light up and he smiles down at you.

"Alright, I've got it."

To this day, it was single-handedly the best story you've ever heard. The stars, the ones that whisper to one another (for that's why they twinkle), have not a clue of what transpired. Not even I know it, for it became like a cherished secret, only yours and his. But what I can say is that this became tradition for you two: to watch the stars every anniversary, even down to carrying the bedsheet outside to sit on; to wrapping you both up in that same black hoodie, as if each year became like an extra blanket of comfort and warmth; that story being passed on like a legacy to your children and to your children's children, generation after generation.

The tender kiss he would place on your forehead whenever his story was done, and the smile that lit your face and the night sky whenever you received it.

♠♠♠

"...And so will I." ~ Mufasa (1994)