Tom - Talk French to Me

Disclaimer: As much as I would love to say that I know French and speak it well, I can't for either of those.  And as I couldn't get responses from family friends that I know who do (because I wanted to be as accurate as possible), and with school coming up, I don't have the time to learn how to translate properly myself, I used Google Translate.

And no, this imagine is not what you think.  My writings are clean. ^.^  But I hope this one will be to your liking.

***

"(Y/N), catch up or we'll be late!"

"Coming!" you say as you snap one last picture of the Eiffel Tower. You had never been to Paris before, and as every tourist knows, you just have to take the picture of the monument. And you had to soak up every moment here because you didn't know when you would be coming back.

You had always been a Francophile ever since you were little, from reading and seeing Les Miserables and, consequently, forcing your parents to by the music cassette so you could listen in the car; to watching Beauty and the Beast so many countless times that you could not just recite but reenact the whole movie down to the slightest facial cue; to being so intrigued with Marie Antoinette that you would make your hair as puffy as possible and put baby powder into it; to making cardboard paintings and decorations so you could transform your bedroom as if came from the Palace of Versailles itself; to not just learning French but speaking nothing but French at five years of age, albeit choppy and not so accurate, and making it so difficult for your parents to accomplish anything with you that they decided to learn themselves.

But as you grew older, other people thought that was a bit over the top. So you never talked about it, redecorated your room, even took elementary French and pretended to be learning for the first time. Your love for it never waned; in fact, a societal barring from it made your love for it grow even more. But you "learned" with your peers, and never dared to outshine on how much you really knew.

And maybe it paid off in the long run. Maybe if you hadn't, you wouldn't be in Paris right now...

Okay, maybe you would, because this was definitely high on your not-so-priority-but-still-very-much-important-thing-to-do list.

But maybe you wouldn't be here with Eddie and Hannah, nor with Chris and Elsa, but definitely you wouldn't be here not just with Tom, but not with Tom after having been dating for almost a year. On your own, you might have been here with your own friends as singles having your own adventure from your provincial life, but not with someone who makes you find the joy in the simple things, puts the extra in extraordinary, and makes you feel so comfortable that not only don't you feel shy about your love for French, but you actually want to talk about it with him and hear his opinions.

But you couldn't, not for fear that he will turn out just like everyone else, but because you saw the way his eyes lit up every time he went to talk to you about the museums, monuments, and food; because you could feel a smile working up within you and marvel at the one on his face when you asked him a question about a particular French thing; because you knew this was the exact feeling you wanted to have, the feeling you know you would enjoy most in the world, and you didn't want to ruin it for him.

So you stayed silent.

You make your way back to your group of friends, checking the picture as you went. It was way above satisfaction, absolutely stunning in all its magnificence.

"It's so much better in person," you remark as Tom goes to hold your hand.

"We'll have more time to see it, I promise," he comforts, "but right now, we have to head back to the hotel."

Confused, your eyebrows wrinkle. "Back to the hotel? So early?"

But before he could answer after a slight hesitation, his phone rang. You swore you could have heard a slight sigh of relief as he picked up the call.

"Hello?"

And just like that, the conversation switched into French.  Curious as to why, you translate in your head.

"Il est prêt déjà?"

It's ready already?

"Non, c'est parfait.

No, that's perfect.

"Je vais venir le chercher dans une demi-heure. Elle va  l'aimer. Merci beaucoup, Monsieur."

I'll pick it up in a half hour. She's going to love it. Thank—wait, what's going on?!

As Tom hangs up the phone, you have to hide your astonished expression. It's not until then that you notice that the rest of the group had been looking at you two ever since he had gotten the call. Catching on, Tom looks at you.

"Are you alright, darling?"

"Yes, I felt lightheaded for a second."

As you all near the hotel, Eddie goes to hold the door open. You nearly almost trip, still coming to grips as to what Tom has planned.

"Will you be okay for tonight?" You nod, and he smiles as if he's the happiest man alive. "Perfect." As he sends you up on the elevator with Hannah, Elsa, and your other friends, Tom lovingly encourages, "Wear something nice. Tonight is going to be special."

***

Also, I am reading through all the imagine requests (if you only knew how many there are!) as well as all the extra notes attached to them.  Thank you guys again for all your support, and I promise to respond/fulfill them as efficiently as I can!