Chapter Nineteen

Alright I know you guys have been eager for an update so here you are! Now we see where Kara is and what's happening there. It's a longer chapter so enjoy!
xo

Kara

     I wake in a dark room. I blink a few times to make sure my eyes are actually open because I can't even see the hand I know I'm raising in front of my face. I groan as I feel around my head and find a bump.

The first thing I do after my inspection is open the mind link and contact Cain. The thought of him immediately gets my eyes watering. I miss him so much.

Cain? I say.

Everything's blank. It's like I'm talking to a wall. I can't even feel the sense of ease that he got the message. It's like something's been cut off and the connection is gone. I try to stop myself from letting my thoughts run wild, but it's hard to rein them in.

What if he has a different mate? Have I been in a coma for months and now finally came to? What the hell is going on here? Did he reject me? I can't even feel his emotions anymore. I never realized how much I took comfort in that in the short time I could feel him. It was like I had a piece of him with me, but now it's gone.

Cain! Where the hell are you! I scream in my head.

I wait a few seconds. The seconds turn into minutes and my heart sinks.

Nothing.

     I need to shift. If I can shift, I have a better chance at tearing whoever the hell tries coming in here apart. And maybe I'll be able to tear myself out of this place.

     I focus on making the seamless change. The process comes naturally to me as I've done this thousands of times. My first shift was early, so I've had even more time to get it mastered.

     Except now nothing happens.

     What the fuck is this place? What's wrong with me? Why can't I mind link? Or send emotions? Or fucking shift?

     Am I not a werewolf anymore?

I go back to checking for physical damage to keep myself from dwelling on the fact that nothing about me being a werewolf is working. I attempt to rake my fingers through my hair in frustration, but it's knotted and I wince in pain. There's dried blood in my hair and I'm sure I look like a mess. What doesn't help is the fact that I only have my bathing suit on from when I was...

My heart drops. Cain. We were going to go swimming so I couldn't have been in a damn coma. They would've changed me if they were to keep me here? Wait what the hell am I thinking? They'd need a lot more than clothes to keep me alive if I was in a coma. They'd need machines. Technology. I mentally give myself a shake to get back on track. I close my eyes, but see Mr. Briggs' lifeless eyes. I almost break down into tears for the second time. Cain has to be going through so much as he now becomes Alpha. This isn't fair! Everything was going so great! Why?

I know I can't let myself wallow in self pity, so I take a couple deep breaths and try to stand. I feel weak, which isn't right because I was perfectly fine before I was taken. They did something to me. I feel around my body and when I get to my right arm, the inside of my forearm is sore. I gently press down, but can't figure out what happened.

"Hey!" I yell, standing.

I didn't notice the cold metal around my ankle until I tried to take a step forward. I was chained. Trapped. Helpless.

"Hey! What the fuck is this?" I yell.

No answer.

I slump back down, using my fingers to feel out the metal restraint and see if it'll be something I can escape. I look around the room and try to get a feel of the space I'm in, but it's useless. Everything's dark.