Forty-one: animal attack and formality

Emma's P.O.V:

I'm sitting in my room, staring at the closed door and smiling like an idiot. Never in a million years would I have thought I would be feeling like this towards a boy. Let alone the weirdest boy at school that I used to hate with passion.

It's funny how different things are now.

Today is the day of the winter formal. I heard Scott is going on his own, even though Coach has forbidden him to. I hope everything goes alright for him. I know he's doing it because Peter can kill Allison any minute. This block is the most psycho one I've met.

I hear a light knock on the door, right before it flies wide open. Jessica and Lydia are standing there, big smiles in their faces.

"Did someone ask for a fairy godmother?" Lydia squeals right before embracing me in the tightest hug in the history of tightest hugs.

"Thank you for doing this." I smile at her. "You know me; I'd show up in jeans and sneakers if it wasn't for you."

Lydia laughs loudly and cheery and I laugh with her. Jessica gets closer, holding two dresses in the air.

"This one is mine," Lydia says, taking one of the dresses and placing it in front of her body.

"This one is yours," Jessica says, her eyes shining.

"I love it!" I smile, feeling like crying.

I wish my mom was here. She would help me out picking a dress and getting ready. Hell, she would give me advice in this dating thing. It isn't something I can tell anyone. I even feel embarrassed to tell Jessica.

I had already taken a shower so I quickly go to the bathroom to get changed. When I go back to my room, Lydia is already in her dress, sitting in front of my mirror.

I notice someone else in the room. "Hey, Mrs Martin," I greet Lydia's mom. "I knew you couldn't miss this."

"No way," Mrs Martin smiles. "Now let me do your hair, Emma. We have a lot of work to do."

The next few hours are actually fun. Painting my nails, adding make up, working on my hair...it makes me wonder why I don't do this all the time.

The excuse is that takes a lot of time and I do not have time for this if I decided to protect my best friend's life and that involves a lot of keeping myself alive.

But Lydia does this every morning, so I don't see why not. I'll think about it.

And just as we're finishing and Jessica is taking pictures of Lydia and me together, even with Mrs Martin in some of them, my phone rings. I smile, because it's probably Stiles telling me to be ready.

I don't even look at the ID as I happily sing "hello?"

"Emma?" it isn't Stiles, but Melissa. Melissa McCall is calling me.

"Melissa? Hi, what's up?" My smile fades a bit because I don't know what she's up to.

"Can you please come to the hospital? I know it's late and you have the winter formal but..."

"Mom, what is it?" I just called her mom. Everyone in the room is staring at me now.

"It's about your dad...he-he was attacked by some animal."

I feel like my whole world is tumbling down. Some animal, is she serious?

I know that Peter really wants Scott in his pack because it makes him powerful and shit, but what the hell does my father have to do with all of this? He's totally exceeding the limits!