Chapter 12: Fatal Flaws

I didn't say anything for about fifteen seconds. I glanced ahead, seeing Sasha hail a cab and jump in. Son of a bitch. In the meantime, Lisa was staring at me with perfect blue eyes, coffee still dripping from her hair. She cleared her throat, and I looked back at her frowning. I couldn't think straight. In one minute, I'd lost Sasha and gotten stuck stammering in front of Lisa. Not to mention Kelly was still in the restaurant trying to figure out another way to ruin my life. A week ago I'd been drooling over Kelly, the strong independent woman. My, how the time had changed, since she was now the obstacle in my way.

Lisa was still waiting for a response, so I finally spoke.

"I'm sorry about the coffee," I said. "But I need to go. I am not really in a mood for company."

"I like the hair," Lisa said. "You look...different."

"You always did care about that appearance factor, didn't you," I spat out.

"Look, Kellan, we need to talk," Lisa said.

"If you're here to apologize," I said. "I'm not open for apologies."

I walked past her, our shoulders brushing. God, she still smelled like cherries and vanilla. She grabbed my hand, and some amount of anger surged through.

"Please Kellan," she begged. "I have been walking around your neighborhood for like an hour, hoping I'd run into you."

"My neighborhood," I said. "How did you know where I lived?"

"Your sister told me," Lisa smirked. "And I am not telling you which one, because I don't sell out my sources."

"Well at least you have some loyalty," I said. "Go ahead, get it over with. Give me your grand apology to which I will deny your request. We'll never be friends again, Lisa. I just can't do it."

"I know that," Lisa sighed. "I just, I need a favor. You're the only one who can help."

"I doubt that, Lisa. Where is your boyfriend? Maybe he could help."

"That's the problem," she said. "Landon is in jail, Kellan. What happened with you violated his parole."

"So," I replied. "How the fuck is that my problem? He is a grown up and he can live with the consequences of his actions."

"But Kellan," Lisa whined. "I love him, and he's really changed. He sent you an apology email, you know."

"An apology email?" I said. "Do you even hear yourself?"

"He made a mistake," Lisa assured me.

"No," I said. "You made a mistake, ever trusting him. You still trust him. What if the next time, it's not my face he uses to express his outrage? What if it's you, Lisa?"

"He'd never hurt me, Kellan."

"He's a freaking criminal! He got put in there for violence. It's only a matter of time until he beats you senseless. So no, I will not help Landon get out of jail, because I like it better when he's in there. Every minute he's locked away is another minute you are safe."

"I thought you hated me," Lisa said. "So what does it even matter if I am safe?"

"I don't want you lying in a morgue somewhere," I screamed. "I didn't push you away because I hated you. I did it because I loved you, Lisa. If had half a brain, you would've seen that."

"Kellan..." Her voice was soft all of a sudden.

"Fuck off," I said, before turning around.

Sure enough, Kelly and Patrick were watching us with a certain amount of interest. I swallowed and Kelly's eyes grazed over Lisa, a certain amount of curiosity in Kelly's eyes.