Chapter 08 : Messing With My Heart

Start from the beginning

"Swara, you are..."

"Maa! Look at me." She held her mother by her shoulder and turned her around to face her. "Logon ka kya hai, woh toh mere baare mein baatein banate hi rahenge, right?"

"Swara, meri bachchi, you don't deserve all this, trust me."

"Maa, yeh kismat ka khel hai." Swara took a deep breath and came up with a smile. "But you know, situations are meant to happen because they actually help us grow as a person. Maybe it's God who tests us, to see how strong we are and to see how strong we can be. Some things don't happen because we deserve them, they just happen because they are meant to happen, to help us rise higher at some point in our lives. And in my case... I have always been strong, no matter what happened. I didn't let these taunts of our society make me low. Instead, I grew up as a person. You're seeing me today Maa, I no longer have any regrets in my life. Because I've finally become someone who I always wanted to be. And believe me Maa, God is watching everything. He is testing what is good and what is bad. And he has figured that out, that who is good and who is bad. You're seeing what I mean? We are not meant to bother ourselves by these stupid taunts by our society. No one can judge us better than our own people and our well wishers can. Please Maa, ignore them."

Sharmishtha had tears in her eyes. How... when did her daughter become so mature? There was so much God made her face right from her childhood. From being characterized as 'a girl who never had her father's love' to 'a girl who had a broken marriage five years ago.' This was too much.

Why? Why was a character certificate always required?! Couldn't just people be let to live out their life peacefully?!

"Or aap hi ne sikhaya hai na? Ki hum kuch bhi kare, log kabhi sudharte nahi! Haina?" Swara chirped. Sharmishtha stared at her.

She didn't understand herself what she was supposed to feel. Proud of her daughter, for being an amazing woman who rose up like a sunshine, or angry on God and fate, because of what they put her daughter through.

"Accha hua, teri Dida nahi hai yaha. Agar yaha hoti na, toh iss wakt unn logon ko bohot saari gaaliya deti ... woh bhi bengali mein," Sharmishtha chuckled sadly, but tried to cheer up her daughter's mood. Swara chuckled cheerfully.

"That's what is our darling Dida's strategy, Maa."

Sharmishtha patted Swara's cheek with love.

"I think you should go now, Swara. It's already late. We will talk on phone. For now, I think it will be better for you to reach the hostel on time." Sharmishtha reminded her and Swara agreed.

"Yes Maa. I'll leave now. But please..." She gripped Sharmishtha's hands staring at her. "Please... take care of yourself. You know I can't bear if anything happens to you. If there is a reason I'm even alive, it's only you Maa. I won't be able to tolerate if something happened to you."

"Tu meri chinta mat kar Shona!" Sharmishtha assured her daughter. "I'll be absolutely fine. Okay? Tu sirf man laga kar kaam karna hospital mein. Remember, your destiny depends on what you do today."

Swara nodded her head and after bidding farewell to her mother, she was finally at peace, knowing the only thing she had to do to rise high for her family.

She knew it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Dada, side mein rok do."

As instructed, the taxi driver stopped the taxi near one side and Swara got out of the taxi. She opened the zip of her purse for payment.

"Kitna hua, dada?"

"One hundred and twenty."

"What?! One hundred and twenty?" Swara was shocked at his reply. "But dada, last time I came here, it only costed me ninety."