Chapter 16: Books and More Words

The next day, to Dean and Cas's relief, Charlie forced Sam and Gabriel out of the bunker with her, insisting that they had to help her sail another ship. 

Sam and Gabriel, of course, remained absolutely clueless to Charlie's plan of making Sabriel sail, now that Destiel was happy.

So, Dean and Cas found themselves alone in the bunker, and Cas knew just what he wanted to check off the list next.

"BOOKS." He declared, bursting into the kitchen where Dean sat, boredly eating cereal.

"Books?" The hunter repeated, raising an eyebrow.

"And WORDS." Cas explained. "That's what we're doing today."

"Well I was just gonna do you, but fine." Dean offered, causing Cas to grin.

"Come on, Dean, books are fun!"

"...Sure." He offered. "But they're just not exactly the way I wanted to spend my day alone with you." 

"What if we read only love books?"

"Okay, but no stealing the steamy romance novels that Sam is supposedly hiding under his bed. He'll get mad if he finds out I know about them."

"Do you read romance novels, Dean?" Cas questioned.

"What? No."

"Then how did you know the ones Sam has are steamy?" Dean looked positively mortified for a moment before fixing his face.

"Well, uh...." He blanked. "Reading porn is better then watching it!" Cas burst out laughing.

"THAT'S your excuse?!"

"Shut up, Cas, like you can talk."

"I've never read steamy romance novels!"

"No, but you've watched a lot of porn, haven't you, Pizza Man?" Cas grinned.

"Whatever, Babysitter." Dean shoved him, and they head for the library.

"I'm telling you, Cas, there's nothing in here but lore." Dean offered. 

"Nah, Sam showed me the section where he keeps all the other books." Cas declared, pausing at one of the bookcases. "Oh, this is a good one!" He insisted, grabbing one of the book and handing it to Dean, who raised an eyebrow.

"Shakespeare? Really?"

"Not just any Shakespeare," Cas insisted. "Othello!"

"Angel, I got all the way through high school without reading Shakespeare crap, and I'm not gonna start now."

"But it's good!"

"Sure it is. You have fun with it." He offered, handing the book back. 

"You don't even know what it's about."

"Enlighten me," Dean declared, hunting the shelf for something more his speed.

"It's about a Venetian moor general named Othello, who elopes with this girl named Desdemona. But there's this guy named Iago, who is mad at Othello for not promoting him Lieutenant, so Iago creates this elaborate revenge plot, and Othello ends up smothering Desdemona to death because Iago manipulated him, and, upon realizing that Iago lied about everything, Othello kills himself out of despair, and he and Desdemona are reunited once more."

".....What ever happened to just plain old Romeo and Juliet?" Dean questioned. Cas gave him a deadpan expression.

"Romeo and Juliet were horny teenagers who didn't get what they wanted so they were stupid enough to kill themselves. THIS," He waved Othello in the air, "Is REAL love!"