FANTASIES

"I do not understand

"I do not understand. I thought all property listings were public record here in Florida. That is what I read on your state website. Why wouldn't Federico Rossi's address be public? I know he has a house on Palmira. It said so right in the newspaper."

I tried not to let my annoyance show to the bureaucrat sitting across the counter. I'd searched online in public records databases for Federico's address, yet found nothing. After a confusing volley of phone calls to government offices, I'd been forced to drive off-island to the county's property appraiser in Fort Myers.

The bureaucrat shrugged. "Sometimes people list their properties under a corporation or business name."

I sighed. I needed to locate Federico's house. It was the only way to find out if Luca was there. I opened my oversized Gucci bag and took out that day's Palmira Post. I also extracted three crisp one-hundred-dollar bills from my wallet. This was the way things were done in Italy and worth a try in Florida.

The clerk watched me set the money on the newspaper, then fold the paper in half.

"Surely everyone must know where Federico Rossi's island mansion is," I said, my voice softening and taking on a greater Italian lilt. I slid the paper toward the bureaucrat, who took the paper wordlessly.

He rose from his seat, and I wondered if this little scheme would backfire. But what was the worst they could do? Try to arrest me on bribery charges?

I could get out of anything with tears.

After a moment, the clerk returned with an orange sticky note. He handed it to me.

The Sanctuary, 100 Royal Palm Drive, Palmira, Florida

"Thank you, sir." I strode out of the office, feeling triumphant.

On my way back over the long bridge to the island, my phone rang. I recognized the Italian number.

"Mama?"

My mother spoke in a long string of Italian sentences without pausing to take a breath. "I know you're in Florida. Please come home. You don't need to be there. I spoke with your cousin and he's going to help you again. He wants you to know everything is taken care of with, with..."

"I'm fine, Mama. Just taking a little rest on the beach. I'm not doing what you think I am."

Mama sighed.

"Bruno wants me to tell you he's on top of the situation in Florida and there's no need to interfere. He didn't want me to say anything to you, but I can't help it. Please come home."

"Mama, I'm not interfering in anything."

"Bruno says he's sending someone."

What the fuck? My voice dropped to a whisper. "Here? To Florida?"

"Yes. Now, come home."

"No. I'm enjoying myself on the beach. Please. Trust me. Remember, the doctor said I'm fine as long as I take my medicine, and I'm taking it. How's the kitty?"

My mother chattered on in a nervous voice. I didn't care about the family cat and refused to ask about her stepfather. In fact, fuck my mother and the entire family. My mother hadn't protected me from my stepfather, so why should I tell her the truth about anything?

As I came close to The Sanctuary and Federico Rossi's house, I hurried my mother off the phone with more lies. "I have to go, Mama. My spa appointment is coming up. I love you. I'll send you a postcard."

I hung up, then slowed the car. But, dammit, there was a guard at the gate. One more obstacle.

I pulled into the nearest public beach parking lot and climbed out. Walking down a wooden path between the dunes, I spotted a long gate and the mansions of The Sanctuary behind it.

Which one was Rossi's house? It was difficult to tell the addresses from outside the complex. I considered talking to the guard at the gate, maybe bribing him. That would have to be a last resort, in case Luca's uncle was with him, or if there were others in the house.

Somehow, I had to get Luca alone. And soon.

What did Mama mean when she'd said Bruno was on top of the situation? He wouldn't send someone here to kill the man I love, would he? My heart dropped into my stomach.

Yes. My cousin would. I needed to find Luca and protect him. To take him away. To make him understand I was his only hope for safety.

I leaned on the wooden rail of the walkway, and a hot breeze made my short sundress flap against my thighs. I slipped into a daydream, the sun lulling me into a fantasy world. This was a beautiful beach, and I knew Luca would want to kiss me here at sunset.

And if Bruno was sending someone to Florida, I didn't have much time left to make my fantasy come true.

____