Chapter 64 Where Is My Brain

Start from the beginning

The arms holding him released and Xiao's face was yanked around.

Xiao Yan was confronted with an angry face.

"Do you know how scared I was?"

"Jane!" Xiao exhaled in relief. "I thought it was..." he trailed off but his meaning was clear.

"You thought I was the Surge

Jane stared at Xiao Yan. There was no laziness in the eyes. His elegantly sloped eyes surprisingly reflected a bit of sympathy.

"Your defense is weak, you need to be more alert. After everything, you still don't have enough awareness.

Jane put his hand on Xiao's head and leaned toward him. As his faced closed in, his features sharpened and mirrored in Xiao's eyes. His expression was quite clear. He was looking disdainfully at Xiao, as though he were reprimanding a foolish child.

"What?"

"Ha--" Jane let out a helpless sigh. Jane patted Xiao's forehead until he closed his eyes and batted his hand away, dodging out of his reach. "Since finding out that you entered the terminal during a Surge invasion...How stupid can you be? Doing such a stupid thing! Did you want to serve yourself up nicely for the enemy?"

"I was worried they would use the system to release toxins into the research room. Such a tactic would have easily killed me!"

Jane clenched his teeth and squeezed Xiao's cheeks until his face distorted. "Don't be so dense. You realize the Surge will spare no expense or risk to get to you. They have even gone so far as to infiltrate the Special Forces to attack you. Why do you think they went to such lengths?"

"Because they are after the researchers brains." In particular his, since he analyzed the comet virus in Antarctica.

"If they had released a poison to kill you, wouldn't that be a waste of their energy. They wouldn't be able to collect your brain. You should have just waited for help."

Jane's words rang true and he sighed in defeat. "You're right."

He realized that he has worried Jane greatly. Guilt floods through him.

"I ..."

"What?"

"I thought you would blame me for asking you not to tell Gordon about my research."

Jane closed his eyes and exhaled steadily. "We are soldiers. Our responsibilities differ. Obeying orders is part of being in the military. Yours is the x2 research. If you're break though were known, your name would run through every level of the Surge organization. Now, you have to keep it all confidential. With Heine as your supervisor, he has the right to know. But I am different. That is not my responsibility. You can rely on me, but it is good that you were careful. In the end I am actually relieved. "

"Relieved?"

"If there are spies, they will be the people closest to you, those that seem the most harmless. They will do everything to gain your trust and then reveal their fangs when you are least expecting it. The fact that you held that information from me tells me that you understand the need for vigilance."

Janes' words wormed into Xiao's mind and settled heavily into his heart.

In Gordon's office Ervel crossed his legs and tapped his fingers rhythmically on his knee. Heine Burton stood in front of him with a face of stone, his hands were behind his back and his spine was straight and steeled.

"Ah, you are the same as you were 8 years ago, but I seem to have gotten much older."

"Sir I assume you called me in here for a reason. Not to rehash the past."

Ervel exchanged a smile with Gordon " I have missed him at the academy. Although his performance there was stellar, his decision seems to have been the right one."