Chapter 5

We move through room after room, various doctors and apparent experts performing tests on me for my reflexes or intelligence or every other possible thing. I felt relatively normal, besides an aching in the back of my head where the burning had stemmed from, and a weird feeling of a presence accompanying my own buried somewhere in my mind. 

It started when they opened the door and that intense feeling hit me hard. It was like something deep inside was trying to get out, but couldn't

"I don't think she is letting it out. It isn't us. It's her." Owen's voice came as a hushed whisper from across the room. I turned my head in that direction, amazed that I could hear what he was saying. I could tell that he was speaking so low to the other doctor that they expected me not to hear.

"Call Mistress Dianne." The doctor spoke out loud to Owen, a grim look on his face.

Owen scowled and rolled his eyes. "I can deal with it on my own, Jackson."

The doctor named Jackson looked over at me and smirked, whispering so quietly, I'm sure Owen couldn't even hear him. "You'll be okay soon, little one." His eyes flashed a wicked red before giving Owen a harsh look and taking his leave.

My doctor buddy that had been toting me around for the past few hours made his way over to me, his shoulders dropping in defeat. He tightened a strap around my left wrist and gave me a once over, his lips forming a thin line in thought.

After a few moments like this, I finally spoke. "What now?"

Owen widened his eyes like he didn't expect me to speak. "Um," he started, shaking his head and taking his place behind my chair, "we go see my mother." We started out of the room and down the long hallway, taking a sharp turn that I hadn't noticed before into a narrow passageway. 

"Mistress D is your mother?!" I turned my head to look up at him. 

"Yes." 

I stayed silent. Owen didn't seem like speaking about that aspect of his life. 

We found our way to a wooden door that looked like it almost didn't belong among the cinderblock and concrete walls. Owen cleared his throat, gave me a pointed look for God knows why, and then knocked on the door. He took a sharp step backwards and straightened his white coat.

"Come in!" A soft voice called from inside. 

Owen pushed me in through the doorway. "Hello, mother. I've brought Miss Black with me."

"Who?" The English woman's face peeked out from another doorway further into the room and smiled once she saw us. "OH! My apologies." She made her way over to us and smiled softly at me. "Have we made progress with Elisavet?"

"No. I'm afraid that Miss Black here is having trouble opening up."

"What does that even mean?" I looked up at him again and his eyebrows furrowed as he looked back down at me. 

"It means you aren't letting your demon side out. You have her buried." Owen stated in a dark tone, a look of concern passing over his face.

"No matter. We anticipated this, Owen." Mistress Dianne spoke, patting my hand. "Take her back to her room to get ready, and we'll have her in a vehicle shortly to the house."

"What house?" I turned towards her.

"Mother, I'm sure there must be a different way?" Owen placed his hands on my shoulders, but their warmth did nothing to comfort me. "We both know she isn't ready to meet him, let alone live in the same house as him."

"Who?!" I looked back up at Owen. 

"Nonsense!" Mistress D waved her hand in dismissal and smiled down at me, an excited look in her eyes. "He has been trained perfectly to handle this situation."

"What situation?!" I widened my eyes, staring back to the woman. 

"What about the others we've brought to him? They never made it through the night." Owen squeezed my shoulders and I stiffened. 

"What?! Will someone tell me what is going on?!"

"Owen, she's different. You and I both know this. We have no idea how he may react, but we both actually know that he would never kill her." 

"Kill me?!" I began to struggle against the straps. "Get me out of here!" 

Owen softly rubbed my shoulders. "Please calm down, Ellie."

Something clicked in my mind, and Owen's face flashed before me as I broke through the restraints, standing up in the blink of an eye. "Don't call me that." My voice rumbled slightly, and the weird feeling in the back of my head surged forward. I gasped and held my breath, calming myself down. 

"Damn. She buried it again." Mistress D sighed. "Well," she smoothed her blazer, "I guess we're going with my plan, then?"

"Fine." Owen pulled out a small syringe from his coat pocket and removed the cap on the needle, flicking the glass side. "But if she dies, it's on your head."

"Very well." 

I started to back away, but he grabbed my wrist and stuck the needle into my arm, pushing the liquid into my veins. 

It didn't take very long to take affect, and my world went black in seconds.