Fare Thee Well

"Fare thee well," I hummed softly. "Fare thee well, fare thee well my fairy fay, for I'm goin' to Lou'siana for to see my Susyanna-"

Ol' Gray tossed his head a mite in protest just then and I smiled, gently patting his neck. It was a small blow to my self-esteem, the gelding not liking my singing, but I couldn't hold him to account for it. Out here he was all the company I had.

"Easy ol' boy," yawning a little, I looked about, disliking the vast, flat country northeast of the Brazos. I'd gotten careless over the long empty miles and had need to be wary, for I'd been traveling alone a few days now. Sitting up high to scan what terrain I could see, nothing stood out as worrisome so I relaxed a mite. It was a far cry to Springfield yet, long days lying betwixt me and home, and me in no particular rush now.

Sage, tumbleweeds, and miles of dirt sparred for the best in show out here, some spaces decorated with wildflowers, splashes of green from freshwater springs. Here and there were clusters of cottonwood, oak, and ash standing in stark contrast to the dry, arid country. Once I'd left the Brazos behind, it'd been some days since seeing something other than pronghorn or coyotes.

Stifling another yawn, tired of the heat, dust and sweat, I sighed, rubbing the heel of my hand across my eyes. Scratching my neck a little, I pointed the gelding's nose toward what looked to be a likely spot for water some distance off.

"A few more miles," coaxing the large horse, I reached out to rub his ears. "We'll make camp yonder for the night, an' be at the Red sometime tomorrow."

Starting the gelding again, I resumed humming gently under my breath.

"I went to a river, couldn't get across, Polly Wolly Doodle all the day, I jumped on a 'gator, thought it was a hoss, Polly Wolly Doodle all the day-"

Of a sudden something struck me fierce along the back of the head, my weight thrown harshly forward. I'da dropped from the horse had I not slammed into Gray's neck with a sharp grunt. Dizzy, feeling sick to my stomach, I tried to push upright thinking I'd been beaned with a rock but something else punched into my back. It was white hot pain this time and dropped me hard into the dirt with a low groan. I managed to blink once, then twice, but before anything really sunk in I was gone.

Aching pain brought my eyes open again, and I blinked, somewhat confused. Hot earth pressed against my cheek, soft clouds of it floating up my nose with each breath. Blinking again, feeling like gravel had taken the place of my eyes, I tried to swallow. With a tongue thick and heavy from dehydration, the inside of my mouth felt papery. Pushing to my knees made my head swim and I almost hit the ground face-first, stomach heaving. I'd eaten a slim breakfast before dawn, so there was little to lose, but the hard spasms didn't do me no favors.

Lifting a hand to my head, I felt along the part of my skull that throbbed something fierce, feeling the sticky, thick crust of drying blood. Had that been the first shot, or the second, I wondered. I couldn't recall it, but gingerly felt along my ribs and back, feeling the second hole still bleeding. Not being able to reach the open wound, I could well enough feel it, and grit my jaw against the sharp ache. My clothing was stiff from dried blood, somewhat stuck to my skin. Casting a quick look about, I noted my rifle was gone. That bothered me some, more than the bullet holes. Out here alone, hurt, I sorely needed that carbine.

"Of all the rotten, egg-headed things..." it rattled from my lips as I tried hard to rise, staggering unsteadily. Wobbly, blinking fast, I made a few steps before collapsing back to the rock, teeth clenched against the cold sickness in my belly. It would be mighty easy to just lay there, eyes closed, and forget.

"Pa didn't raise no quitter." I muttered doggedly. "Get to your feet."

A second attempt got me from the ground, and half-bent, my boots shuffled unsteadily across the dusty rock toward the sparse shade of trees. Stumbling to my knees in the shadow of a scrubby-looking Ash I closed my eyes, breathing deep. My thoughts came in slow, unfocused as I tried to recall. I'd been on my way home from Texas- well, I figured I was still in Texas, just a long way from where I'd started? That sounded right. Kinfolk of mine got into a hanging mess-I recalled that- and I'd come to be there for burying should it be needed. Turned out to be a mistake, and my cousin...Tobias-? had come partway home with me.