25- Smear

His fingers slumped, his eyes lost focus, and his chest deflated. The stillness of the air and room slammed into me.       

I bit down hard on the hand and it loosened in shock. I twisted out of reach and scrambled to my feet.

I stared into the palest blue eyes hosting the darkest soul. Elizabeth cradled her hand as blood streamed from my teeth marks. I expected her other hand to raise. When it collided with my cheek, bitterness spilled through my veins.

The monster she created sprang forth. I became possessed by the menace I fought too long to repress. I laughed at her deviant snarl as every nerve in my body burned away. The pain from her fist should have rocked me, but it was simply an invitation.

I lunged. Her hands knotted in my hair as she fought to distance herself from my fury. I buried all of my rage into her through my nails and fists. I connected my frustration and pain into every bone I could reach, unable to see through the veil of hair.

Her cries strengthened my power. I pressed against her, refusing to allow her freedom from her own creation. She crumbled as I threw my elbow into her face. She was on her knees, screaming and begging me to stop. It felt right.

I couldn't rationalize. I never cared to gain control. I channeled the agony from every drop of blood she ever shed from my body, every moment of hunger and weakness she forced me to endure. I could taste her flesh in my teeth. I could smell her blood. I needed to forever feel her failing beneath me. I lifted my foot and aimed for her ribs as my body was snapped back.

The arms restraining me from behind were too strong to break through. I threw my head back, kicked, and twisted.

I fought the blows of sanity pushing into me as I was forced to still. A deep, cracking moan rattled in her chest. A grin spread across my lips as I peered down at her. She hid her face behind her hands as she pulled into a ball of terror and shock.

I knew somewhere deep in the quietest parts of my mind it was wrong. The venom didn't belong to who I wanted to be, but the toxic fury felt pure. I worshiped the creature I became for such a small, victorious moment.

I was lifted and carried from the room. I barely made an effort to fight the hands I came to recognize. My feet landed hard on the wood floor of Ruth's bedroom as the door slammed closed. My chest still heaved as I tried to regain control. My body didn't understand what happened though my heart still rang with war-cries.

He's gone. The paralyzing thought began to creep into my mind as Hugh's voice tried to disconnect me from the monster.

The beast possessing me growled and backed into a shadowed corner of my mind. Hugh's arms circled me and I gladly stepped against his damp chest. I could hear his own struggle for composure. If he was frightened I should be terrified.

He brushed the hair from my face. His hand pulled away and I stared at the blood that tinted his fingers. Fascination saturated his whisper. "You're beautiful."

My head rested against his chest as I tried to find mental balance. His heartbeat was heavy as though he was the one who maimed the demon. His lips caressed my face. I inhaled his calmness and pulled it as far into my being as I could. "What happened?" he asked into my hair.

"Grandfather died." It sounded too simple for it to have unleashed my own demon. I pulled back as he dragged his long fingers through his hair. His eyes closed tight against his own guilt. "This isn't your fault, Hugh. You didn't harm him," I reminded him. He nodded in understanding but remained wordless. He seemed lost and scared as he looked me over and began checking for new bruises.

The war had started. I knew my tantrum and the fury that bellowed within me had angered her. I would soon be made small again by her hand.

***