The Interview.

19,995 Years ago

Suddenly a small cough was heard just as Mo Yuan stood to greet Bai Zhi.

Just as ecstatic as her husband was, the news came as no real surprise, though they all wondered why it took so long.  But never one to allow a chance to do mischief pass her by, The Empress stood stoically, forcing her husband to move back.

Knowing his wife would intervene, Bai Zhi did not stop her, in fact, he was excited for what was coming next.  Even though he had accepted the proposal, his wife had not.

"Qian Qian has always been a little slow Mo Yuan, I never thought you would be even slower."  she said lightly, to break the sudden tension in the air, and though he smiled back , Mo Yuan also knew what was coming.

Initially, when The Empress learned that the two were dating, she was not entirely happy about it.  To find out that Mo Yuan was the one she had fallen for, a man twice her age and one who had almost fathered her since she was a child, seemed rather unethical to her.  But as she watched her daughter grow in confidence and knowledge, despite the vicious gossip that spread across the entire world, she held back on saying anything.  Her daughter had learned to deal with it, without causing harm to herself or others in order to stop it. And through Mo Yuan she also learned to love someone other than herself.

But dating and marriage were two completely different things.  Her daughter would become not only his wife but the Heavenly Empress.  A station that would put her on the world stage.  She would have to give up her privacy that she cared deeply about, nothing would be too sacred, her every move and every word would be not only be taken literally, it would go down in the history books.

"Mo Yuan.  Bai Zhi is correct.  It will be very difficult to see you as a son in law when we have been close friends for centuries.  How can you possibly be in love with her when she is young enough to be your daughter?" she asked smiling softly at him.

Mo Yuan fully understood the question.  He had attended many such requests for marriage alliances to know the true meaning behind her question.  It wasn't so much an answer she wanted, it was more of a ritual of sorts.  

And regardless of the fact that Bai Zhi had already accepted the proposal, it seemed as if the Empress was not going to make it that easy for him.  He as the suitor would now have to undergo an interview which consisted of questions purposely aimed at making him as uncomfortable as possible.

"I have done everything I can to show her how much I love and want her in my life.  In fact I have loved her for many many years, only I wanted to wait until she was age appropriate, when she could choose me of her own free will.  This I believe she did only a couple of hours ago.  While I was holding her at the rock pool, she told me via images of her trial how she felt about me."

"As you know, I have known Bai Qian most of her life, and because of it, I also know everything there is to know about her, and she knows me.  Did you know she is one of the few people in this world who has made me laugh so hard my sides hurt?  He asked smiling at her.  "Only I know what warms her heart and what makes her smile and I have done everything in my power to ensure she smiles more often than not." he replied confidently.

Looking at him, a twinkle in her eye suddenly had him bracing himself.  

"Ahhh, I see.  So you make her smile.  That's nice." she said softly smiling at him though to everyone sitting there, the sarcasm was not far from the surface.

Not saying a word, Mo Yuan stood before her just as stoically waiting for the next question.

"But I wonder. When that viscous gossip spread across the world, she was definitely not smiling.  In fact, she hid herself away and cried herself to sleep every night for weeks.  Yet not once did you come to visit her.  Why is that?" she asked next while keeping the smile on her face.