Twenty-Nine.

"What do you mean by that?" Keith asked, his voice rising with alarm.

Striatha grinned maliciously and took another big gulp of air. "When I... first... spelled your... f-friend, I al-also... made a... safety precaution." She stopped and gasped for more breath. "If I die... Lance will die... right along side me."

Keith's heart rate went into double-time. They couldn't hurt her... Not without hurting Lance, as well. They were helpless. "Pidge, I need that muting device, like, now -- before I lose my temper and take her out for good."

Pidge scrambled to her feet, still a bit wobbly from being thrown against the rocky cave walls, but tossed Keith the makeshift mute device they had whipped up before they left.

Just as Keith was about to place it over Striatha's mouth, she narrowed her already unnaturally small eyes, sneering, "It hurts being so close to having someone completely for yourself and yet not being further away from that actually happening."

Keith clenched his jaw, his back teeth grinding against one another harshly. "Just shut up already," he snapped, wrapping the muting device around her head with unnecessary force. Once everything was secure, he grabbed his Marmoran blade and stalked out of the cave.

"Keith!" Hunk called after him, wanting to help the others, but also wanting to be there for the Red Paladin. "Keith!" Still, he kept walking.

He only stopped when he reached Lance's still sleeping body. He fell to his knees in front of Lance's chest, reaching his hand out and gently laying in on top of Lance's. He felt the warmth of Lance's body through his armor, the safety and security. A weight settled heavily against his chest. The world around him seemed to twist and shift, and his eyes, trying to adjust to the reality in front of him, stung with salty tears. Throat raw and mouth dry, Keith attempted to swallow the ball of grief that had settled at the base of his throat.

Why was this happening? Why does this always happen? Why couldn't  the universe just let them be happy for once, just. once.

Keith released an anguished scream, hitting Lance's chest with the butt of his fists. His still recovering wrist hollered and ached with indignation, but that pain was just a blip on the radar for Keith. Living a life without Lance... Like Hunk said, he didn't want to think about it, wouldn't want to live that life. It would be unbearable. He wouldn't see Lance's smile or his beautiful eyes, wouldn't hear his stupid jokes or his laugh, wouldn't be able to smell the ocean on him or the hundreds of different skin care products, wouldn't be able to feel the softness of his skin, of his lips... wouldn't be able to taste his kiss.

A life without Lance... No more admiring him from afar; no more mooning about him as soon as he finished training, beads of sweat dripping from his brow and bangs, his skin beautifully shining and tan; no more being proud of him during a mission; no more hanging on his every word; no more hoping and praying to get a moment alone with him; no more wishing that he remembered that stupid bonding moment; no more... Just nothing.

Suddenly, Lance sucked in a breath from beneath Keith's fists before proceeding to cough. "Lance!" Keith cried, smiling lightly, tears rolling down his face in an endless stream.

"Hey...Mullet," Lance wheezed, still trying to recover. "What's going on?"

Keith gulped. "There's been a... tiny problem."

"Striatha put a...another hex on me that... essentially ensured her... her safety," Lance sighed hopelessly, he voice devoid of emotion.

Blinking profusely and shocked into a stunned silence, Keith just stared at him. "How...? How did you know?"