The Last Centurion [Doctor Who]

A Thousand Years
-Christina Perri

"Heart beats fast
Colors and promises."

Rory Williams had been in love with Amy Pond since he had first met her.

He was a nerd, a geek, always running around with his friend Alec, pretending to be on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise or on an adventure with Indiana Jones. The only other friends he had were Amy and Melody. He had always been quick to respond to anything that Amy ever asked him to do. He never believed her stories about the 'Raggedy Man', but whenever she spoke about him, he always listened. He even agreed to dress as him during Halloween, on Amy's request.

"How to be brave?
How can I love when I'm afraid to fall?"

He had been terrified of telling her how he felt. He didn't think he could handle it if he got rejected by the love of his life. But that was until Mels made it so blatantly obvious to Amy that he was in love with her.

Amy had thought he was gay all along. Why wouldn't she? He hadn't shown interest in any girl before. But Amy wasn't like any other girl.

The years of traveling with the Doctor on the TARDIS had put the couple through so much together. He always seemed to be falling for her, over and over again. He had died, trying to save Amy's Raggedy Man.

"But watching you stand alone,
All of my doubt, suddenly goes away somehow."

Then, they brought him back as an Auton. For some reason, he remembered everything about his human life. He thought it was an alternate life, until he saw her again. He saved her from a Cyberman, and the Doctor, although shocked, welcomed him back. He tried his hardest to make her remember him again. But being swallowed by a crack in time had its disadvantages.

He knew she wasn't safe. The Alliance was springing the trap designed for the Doctor. He knew they would activate him any minute and he would be forced to shoot anything that stood before him.

That is when she remembered.

"One step closer."

He shot her.

She had refused to run. She had hugged him as the Auton programming was activated and he had shot the woman he loved.

"I have died everyday, waiting for you.
Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years,"

He sat there, crying over her body for what seemed like ages. He had done the unthinkable, and as much as he knew that it wasn't his fault, he couldn't stop blaming himself. He could have protected her. He should have protected her.

"I'll love you for a thousand more."

The Doctor had come from the future. He told Rory about the Pandorica, and the fact that Amy wasn't gone yet. Rory had set him free, and the two of them had placed Amy inside the box, sealing it, allowing her time to heal.

The Doctor offered to take Rory to the future, but the Centurion refused. He had to protect his love. That was what he was meant to do.

"Time stands still
Beauty in all she is
I will be brave
I will not let anything, take away
What's standing in front of me
Every breath, every hour has come to this."

The Last Centurion was what the world was calling him. Records of the mythical sentinel appeared in the folk history of a dozen civilisations, the Roman who guarded the Pandorica with his life. He warned off people who would attempt to open it. He protected it when it came under attack. Rory would die before he let any harm reach Amy.

"One step closer.
I have died everyday, waiting for you.
Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years,
I'll love you for a thousand more"

There were times when he thought about the Doctor's offer. He wondered if he should have accepted it and gone to look for Amy in the future. But who knew what they would have found? No, he was glad he had stayed to make sure no harm came to the Pandorica.

"And all along I believed, I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me. I have loved you for a thousand years,
I'll love you for a thousand more"

The Doctor had been impressed with Rory's sense of humanity, despite Auton. He knew that Amy would be safe under Rory's watch.

"One step closer.
One step closer."

He had waited for nearly two thousand years. Amy was almost fully healed.

Of course, that had to be the time when Hitler decided to bomb Britain into submission.

"I have died everyday, waiting for you.
Darling, don't be afraid, I have loved you for a thousand years,
I'll love you for a thousand more"

The last the world saw of him was during the London Blitz of 1941. He was spotted dragging the Pandorica to safety as the skies rained fire on the British capital.

The Last Centurion was never seen again.

"And all along I believed, I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me"

In the 21st century, Rory brought the Pandorica to a museum and took up a post as a security guard. Every morning, he is awake at the crack of dawn, and he sits in front of the box, hoping against hope that it will open and he will be reunited with his love.

He places his hand against the cool metal and whispers,

"I have loved you for a thousand years,
I'll love you for a thousand more."