The beginning of the end

As her eyes adjusted to the light, Anjali's mind struggled to comprehend her surroundings. Just when the familiar smell of medicines hit her nostrils,  her memory returned and she sat up with a jerk as the sound of a bullet coursed through her ears. The sudden action was a shock for her already weak body and she clutched her head as a spell of dizziness settled in. She felt a glass of water near her mouth and took hold of it, taking a few steps as she felt two hands help her lay back down slightly upright. As she calmed down, her brain recollected the events she had witnessed earlier, everything played like a movie in front of her eyes. Khushi's disappearance, her absurd entry from the poolside, Khushi changing into her saree and locking her in the bathroom, Shyam's confessions, him shooting Khushi as she helplessly tried to come out. Wincing at that she felt panic, till she remembered Khushi getting up and sending her downstairs, Shyam sending the family to that small room and the gas, Payal fainting, Akash trying to open the window and failing and finally the sound of the crack on the glass and the glass breaking and giving away as the gas tried to escape through it.

As the memories resurfaced, she slowly opened her eyes only to be met by the most surprising sight.
She had seen Arnav break down before, but this was new, there were marks of tears on his face and his eyes were red, his hair was disheveled and there were lines on his forehead indicating how stressed he had been, the closest he'd been to this stage was when she'd come back after the accident on the day of his wedding.

But at the moment, Anjali wasn't worried about her brother's state.

"  Baby?"

Arnav was caught off guard by her low voice and the panic in her eyes as her hands automatically enclosed her stomach wanting to feel her child.
Thankfully the doctor had come in a few minutes back and given him all the details to handle his family as he woke up.

" Di, your child is fine. So are you, Nani, Mami, Mamaji, Akash, Payal, NK, everyone is fine. Di you scared....."

But just as soon as Anjali had relaxed hearing his words, she panicked again almost immediately noticing one member missing from the room as she scanned the room once. This time the fear was intensified as she asked with wide eyes holding his arm.

" Chhotte, Khushiji kahan hai? Wo yahan kyun nahi hai, sabke saath? Kahin unhe kuchh...."

( Chhotte, where is Khushiji? Why isn't she here, with everyone else? Did something.......)

Hearing the concern for his wife from his sister further ignited the fire of hate burning inside him over the love his brain was trying to destroy. He immediately snapped.

" Stop it Di!!!!" 

Anjali flinched at his voice as she saw a familiar emotion taking place in his eyes.

" Aap sab yahaan uski wajah se pauhanche ho, jaanti hai aap?"

(You all are here because of her, do you know?)

Anjali looked at him incredulously, she was beyond confused about why he was getting angry.

"Ha chotte magar tum itna gussa kyun ho rahe ho? Aur humaare sawaal ka jawab kyun nahi de rahe ho? Khushiji kahaan hai?"

(Yes chotte but why are you getting so angry? And why aren't you answering me? Where is Khushiji?)

Anjali sat stunned as Arnav suddenly got up, pulling on his hair, probably to try staying calm. 

"Di, how can you even think about her when she tried to kill you. Don't you know, it's because of her that Shyam..."

Syaing she was confused would be an understatement right now, because Anjali was completely baffled by his words.