Desperation leads to Insanity

After asking his brother to come home immediately, Arnav enters his room only to witness his sister-in-law applying a wet cloth to his wife's forehead.

Noiselessly he reached their end of the bed and lightly caressed her face. This moment seemed way too close to home. His mind wandered back to the time when she had gotten sick on thier misadventure at the dhaba (highway restaurant) on the way to Nainital. Even then, she had gotten sick because of him, and even now. His thoughts went back to seeing her wet clothes drying in the washroom that morning. He remembered thinking how she deserved it after he had specifically warned her, but now looking at her face, all he could feel was the guilt eating him alive. Shutting his eyes,every  single moment where he hurt her flashed in his mind. His heart broke into pieces as he was reminded of all the times he humiliated her, accused her, scolded her, hurt her. At that moment if there was one incident he could choose to change from his past, this time it was the first time they met.

Payal had moved back on seeing her sister's husband arrive beside her. Looking at his painstriken face, she couldn't help but console him.

"She's fine, Arnavji. You can relax."

He barely nodded at her as he opened his eyes and took the cloth off Khushi's head.

" Akash is coming home just now. You should go."

Payal went down as soon as the words were said. The day's happenings had taken a toll on her, and apart from her unconscious sister, the only other person she could find comfort in was her husband.

Running down the stairs she had intended to stay in the living room, so she could open the door as soon as he came in, but was halted by Anjali at the bottom.

" Payalji, do you have any idea where Shyamji could be?"

Payal looked at her sister-in-law dumbfounded, her conversation with said man replaying in her head. Forcing a confused expression on her face, she shook her head saying no.

The latter looked at her for a moment before nodding and going towards her room.

The doorbell rang just as Anjali passed her and she found herself running to open it.

But seeing the person on the other side only brought her disappointment. Hiding her feelings, she gave way to NK with a small smile.

Arnav heard the steps behind him and turned to see NK placing the packet of medicines and the prescription on the table. NK gave his clearly distressed brother a small smile to encourage him.

" Sab chheek ho jayega, Nannav."
(Everything will be sneeze, Nannav.)

Arnav frowned hearing him, and whispered.

" Theek."
(Fine.)

NK nodded with an enlightened expression.

" Now go."

He turned back to his wife hearing the fading footsteps. But turned back hearing the sound again just a few minutes later.

He frowned at a flustered NK who showed the phone in his hand indicating he'd come to collect it and walked off.

He shook his head and went back to rehydrating the cloth on Khushi's forehead.

Downstairs a jumpy Payal stood in front of the door just waiting for the heavenly bell to ring so that she could open the door to her husband and finally convey what she was feeling.

It seemed God had heard her prayers as that very second the doorbell sounded and she opened the door to a slightly frowning, worried Akash.

Akash was surprised at his brothers sudden urgency to have him home. Fortunately the venue where he had an investor's meeting was just about a 10 minute drive from his residence and reached in record time with his heart raving at the thought of the emergency that could have occurred.