The day of Doom

Shyam left the room, and she finally came out of her frozen state. As soon as she tightened her grip the door gave away lightly with the other hold gone.

Limping, she reached in two steps. Bending down, she looked at the girl lying on the floor, blood oozing from the right side of her abdomen. Anjali cried harder looking at Khushi who was struggling holding onto her side and nodded her head in no as the latter tried to get up.

"D-don't, you've been sho-ot , you need a doc-doctor. I'll call the ambulan-ance."

Anjali somehow managed to stutter out the words and unlocked her mobile to call when Khushi's blooded wrist held her from doing so. 

With great difficulty, Khushi managed to sit up with a little help from Anjali. Shaking her hand she looked up at Anjali who was looking like a lost child. 

"Di, nothing ....will work, the....the signal...is jammed. Give me your phone. I'll have to.....have to turn it off, and call.....call them."

Khushi managed to speak up, gulping as Anjali looked at her shocked.

"But Khushiji, how can you.....in this state......no, you can't. You have been..."

Khushi cut her off with urgency.

"Di,  the bullet just........just grazed a little. I'll get used to.......the pain in...... a while. You have to.......hear me out. Open... the window. Hide with....others, don't let them know......the men...they're with him. Go...give me...phone...and go."

She managed to breath out, getting up with Anjali and the bed's support. Anjali although confused, gave her the mobile phone and started going out, still looking back every few steps. 

Khushi tied the pullu of the saree around her waist to gain a little strength and breathed through the pain. Though it hurt like hell, she knew she had to suppress her pain or all would be lost. 

She looked at the door where Anjali was hesitantly leaving after looking back once again.

"Di, ab rona mat. Woh aapke laayak thei hi nahi. Himmat rakhiye, aap apne Chhote ki behen aur ek bahadur maa hai, aur Anjali Singh Raizada ko toda nahi jaa sakta."

(Di, don't cry anymore. He wasn't worth you. Remain strong, you are your Chhote's sister and a courageous mother, and Anjali Singh Raizada cannot be broken.)

Khushi said moving towards her still holding onto her waist while Anjali just hugged her overwhelmed.