CHAPTER FOUR - Welcome To Nula Island

I spent the whole boat trip reminding myself where the life jackets were located in case the boat went down. From the moment the attendant had mentioned it, all I could think about was the possibility that we might actually need life jackets and that we could go down.

I hated boats with a passion. I'd been traumatised ever since I watched Titanic when I was younger. Which is why, when the boat finally reached the island, I was out of my seat within seconds and immediately made a beeline for the exit.

"Aubany, wait up!" Savannah called from behind me. I pushed through the people, only too happy to get off the boat. After two hours of being rocked from side to side, the docks didn't seem so bad after all. Sure, there was water beneath me, but I was finally standing on solid ground, and I felt safe again.

However, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that nothing lasts forever. Safety was nothing but a slim glimmer of hope, and it was well and truly gone the moment Ryan stepped off the boat.

It slowly dawned on me that, while Savannah might be my guardian angel, even she couldn't protect me 24/7. And right now she was hurrying off to collect her luggage and find her room, leaving me alone with my worst nightmare.

Ryan had this creepy smile on his face. "You know, I'm still trying to get over how funny this is," he said. "I cannot believe you actually came here, being so afraid of the ocean."

"Well, it's not like I had a choice!" I said firmly. I folded my arms.

"Why didn't you say something earlier? Did you really think you could keep your little secret from me forever?" he taunted. "Oh, I've already thought of tons of ways to torture you. This place is packed with water activities, and my parents are staying on one of the smaller islands, so our chances of running into them are basically zero. You're stuck with me!"

"Don't get too excited. I don't plan on hanging around you long enough for you to be able to pull one of your stunts on me. I plan on staying as far away from you as I can for the next six weeks," I replied.

"That's funny, because I had planned to do that too, originally. But now . . . how can I resist?" he asked. He took a step closer and added, "I simply can't leave you alone here."

"Gee, stalker-ish much?" I asked. I began to walk away from him towards the ramp that would lead me off the dreaded pier.

Ryan followed me as I climbed up the ramp. I stopped when I reached the top and stared.

I had to admit—the place was breathtaking.

At first glance, you could see the entrance to the resort up ahead in all its dazzling splendour. There were tall, engraved wooden columns, arches with breezy curtains tied back, flowers spilling over the rooftops and climbing up the walls, and fountains sprouting from the rock pools that lined the path to the entrance.

The hotel's wings were spread out over the four islands, with seven wings in total.

"Come on, Reception's this way," Ryan said, walking ahead of me. I followed him down the path towards the grand building before us. Passing through the doors, I stepped onto weathered wooden floorboards. Past another fountain situated in the centre of the room, a huge desk took up half the space near the far wall.

Ryan checked us in, grabbed two key cards, and handed me one of them.

"We're in the Sea Breeze Wing, room number 309," he told me. We were given a map to follow, and Ryan led us back out of reception.

I studied the map intently, trying to make sense of where everything was. What I'd been told had been right—the island really was huge. Luckily, the map sort of doubled as a brochure, packed with hot tips and information, which I took the liberty of educating myself on.