Video Games - One-Shot for SOVWRR Book Launch

FUN FACT: This is a scene that was in the original book that I wrote when I was 15. I've reworked it into a one-shot for you all! It's back at Ryan's house the night before they left for the island.

I wasn't very tired, so after much thought I decided to read one of my books. I hadn't been able to bring as many as I'd liked, and I was a fast reader so I was hesitant to read one in case I got through them all too quickly on the island, but boredom had gotten the better of me. Besides, if need be I could always go back to the house in the morning for more.

I'd only just settled on the comfy bed and had started to get lost in the story when the door flew open, making me jolt in surprise.

Ryan was standing in the doorway, an annoyed expression on his face.

"Ryan? What do you want?" I breathed, my heartrate returning to normal. "And could you at least knock before you enter the room? I know it's your house and all, but it's common curtesy. I'm sure your mother taught you that much."

I couldn't help but feel a little insecure. I mean, I could have been changing and he still would have butted in.

Ryan sent a glare at me that made chills run down my spine.

"Mum wants me to keep you company," he admitted finally, crossing his arms. I bit my lip, unsure how to respond. It was considerate of Renee, but I honestly couldn't think of anything worse.

"Tell her I appreciate the thought, but I was going to head to bed soon anyway," I replied. "Meaning... you can leave now."

Something about my words seemed to amuse him. The way he smiled was almost... menacing. He slowly crossed the room so that he was at the foot of my bed, and placed his hands on either side of my legs.

"What if I wanted to keep you company?" he suggested, raising an eyebrow. I frowned.

"You've made it pretty clear you don't," I pointed out, bringing my knees towards my chest and away from the danger of his lingering hands. "You were awful to me when I got here. You threw my clothes in the pool— I don't see any reason why you'd want to be around me."

"And how do you know you didn't deserve it?" he said, his gaze darkening. His words lingered in the air, and I tried to make sense of where they'd come from. Why would he say something like that?

He sighed. "You really annoy me. You know that?" he said, straightening up again.

"If I annoy you so much then why don't you just leave?" I snapped, getting frustrated now.

"Maybe because it's my house!" he retorted. I frowned. Was he just being a pain because he was stuck with me for the next six weeks and there was nothing he could do about it? The thought of me getting to him so simply made me smirk in satisfaction.

"Oh...I see," I chuckled, closing my book. I got to my feet so I was eye level with him. "You're just frustrated because you can't get rid of me. For once, the Ryan Rupert can't get his way!"

"You're one to talk," he seethed, avoiding my gaze.

"You know, throwing my clothes into the pool and being unpleasant to me won't change anything. I don't like this any more than you do, but it's the way it is. So why don't you stop acting like a child and grow up!"

He paused, thinking over his next words. Finally, his eyes met mine again.

"Fine. I challenge you to a racing game. Beat me, and I'll be kind to you. Lose... I'll make your life hell until you're desperate to stay elsewhere."