☫ Chapter 22 ☫

Start from the beginning

     "Isn't it legit?!" He exclaimed over enthusiastically. "We're so legit."

      I laughed finding his excitement contagious and somehow forgetting his previous statement. "Yeah. Super legit."

     "You're learning," he commented. "I knew you would be super good for the team."

      I cringed and looked down at the floor, covering my face in the process. I could imagine him winking at me as he said that. But one of those really sloppy winks that no one actually takes seriously.

      "I really do have to go, though," I informed him.

      "Alright, I give you permission." He popped his lips, the sound echoing in my ear uncomfortably. I didn't bother to tell him that I didn't need his permission. "Bye!"

      The corners of my lips quirked up just a bit. "Bye."

      I think I'm starting to get used to Dark Wonder and his antics. I thought as I stuffed the earpiece in my pocket. And I think he's starting to grow on me.

☫ * ☫ * ☫ * ☫

      The lunch table was filled with more people than the original amount only moments ago. I raised my eyebrows when I noticed Kyle, his brown curls sprouting in every direction. He had a silly smile on his face while conversing with Jenna. They were both in front of Jude. Jenna was running her fingers through her hair as she laughed, her head leaning back and her eyes squeezed shut. Jude, however, wasn't paying them any attention at all. The more they spoke the more he itched towards the edge of the table. It was like he'd rather fall off then sit across from them. I inwardly laughed at that and nervously made my way to the table.

     Maybe I wasn't entirely sure on what was happening but this was better than continuing the conversation I was having with Jude before getting a call from Dark Wonder.

      I felt a tug on my shirt and then suddenly I was dragged down onto the seat rather aggressively. Jude's breath fanned over my ear as he rushed a whisper. "What the bloody hell is this little fest?"

      I turned to him, my eyes a little wider and replying with the little knowledge I knew. "I have no idea."

       "Helpful," he muttered, scanning the two of them and then looking back at me with agitation.

       "Why are you looking at me like this is my fault?" I frowned, still making sure to speak quietly. I gulped when he glared at me. I looked down, stammering over my next words. "I-is it r-really so b-bad?"

      His orange eyebrows rose up. "They aren't the problem." He clicked his tongue. "It's what comes with them."

      "What do you—"

       "Hello. Hi. Yes, it's me. " Lucas Trevor took a seat on my other side. His hands were occupied with Slurpees and turkey sandwiches. He somehow managed to balance them with a hug of his arms. He began handing me the Slurpees and tilting his head towards Kyle and Jenna, gesturing for me to give it to them for him. I did what he implied mutely, slightly petrified while doing it. "I know what you're thinking. Your lunch is gonna be so much better now that I'm here."

     That's not the first thought but a close second. I stared at him, completely confused with not only the seating arrangement but the very detail of him being here, to begin with. I pursed my lips and analyzed the scene. Jenna and Kyle were now talking to Lucas Trevor who was grinning at them widely. Like actually full on smiling at them. I've never been more scared in my life. Since when did Lucas Trevor smile?