He doesn't remember you. She had to repeat the phrase again and again in her mind until her body relaxed. She'd spent so much of the last thirteen years trying to forget the defining moment in her life. Through Will wasn't there at the time, he still had been Mathias' best friend. Pieces of her past were already sneaking into her new life with her family's pack. She didn't like that. It'd be better, easier, if she could just wake up one morning without any memories of the day her family was brutally murdered. That way she wouldn't have that constant throbbing ache in her heart every morning she woke up.

            "I'm Cameron by the way. Call me Cam."

            "Harley." She gave him a small smile because hello? He was still hot.

            Another figure stepped through the doorway, but before she could investigate, something slammed into her left side. She stumbled, barely catching herself on the wall next to her.

            Jamie flew forward towards the front door. "Will!"

            Cam shifted the box in his hands. "Hey, you okay?"

            She barely nodded. Instead her eyes and focus found the man Jamie gushed to. And a man he really was. Will had obviously grown into his looks. He was a good looking kid back in the day—there were pictures to prove it—but nothing compared to the glory of what he was now.

            It was a struggle to get her attention back to Cam. But she did. All the while feeling the strength of his presence. It unnerved her.

            Cam gestured with a tilt of his head for her to follow him. She did without hesitation. Anything to get away from Will. And Jamie's sickingly sweet tone.

            "So...you new here?"

            Harley shrugged. The answer seemed obvious to both of them. But it was a place to start. "Yeah." She said, stepping carefully aside to avoid the arm of the couch as they passed through the living room. "I've only been here a few weeks."

            "Really? Where you from?"

            "Originally?" She wrung her fingers. "Here. But I lived with my aunt and uncle for a while."

            Cam crooked his head to the side. Asking silently for an explanation.

            Her mouth opened, ready to try and force the words from her throat, but something stopped her.

            How was she supposed to get past it all if she kept telling people?

            No, this time with the pack was her chance to start over. Her chance to be her own person and start her own path. "Have you been with the pack long?" She asked, turning the subject from herself. If she didn't talk about herself, she wouldn't have to talk about her past.

            "About ten years now."

            They talked for a bit after that. Harley had a hard time focusing past the new discovery that so many people had heard of her. It meant all her baggage had already been ripped open and displayed to the masses.

            After that she made a somewhat lousy excuse and headed back to her room. The sounds of cheers and laughter following in her wake sobered her.

            That same night, the pack held a welcome home dinner in the backyard. The entire pack was invited and most, if not all, were in attendance. Tiki lights glittered the backyard and kept the perimeter clean of bugs. If that wasn't enough light, a couple of bonfires crackled and popped near the pool. Lawn chairs had been set up all around, a gentle acoustic soundtrack leaked through the speakers, and the lights from the house casted a golden shadow on the grass.

            People chatted and socialized around the yard. Harley tried her best to make herself one of them, but after the initial introduction or hello, most of the conversations became nothing more than tense and trying talk.

            That was the last thing she wanted.

            Pack members needed to be comfortable with each other. Heck, friends and family needed to be comfortable with each other. If she couldn't even have a little discussion about nonsense topics with the people she was going to be living with, well... She might just be screwed.

            At some point, she'd ended up at the dessert table by herself, picking through the remnants of the brownie pans and cupcakes for anything salvageable. There wasn't much left but a sugar cookie, which she snagged.

            Someone appeared by her elbow. "Hiyah, darlin'."

            Harley turned, already recognizing the voice. Bailey grinned up at her, her short brown hair spiked somewhat messily. It was always amazing how people with short hair or pixie cuts could work the messy look, while those with long hair normally couldn't.

            Relief swelled. "Hey. Bailey, right?"

            "Yup." Bailey grinned, her white teeth contrasting against her tan skin. "Good to know yah remember me, Harley."

            Harley moved over toward a chair near the corner of the yard. She glanced behind her to make sure Bailey followed her. She did.

            Almost immediately, Harley's eyes caught the small but influential group in the corner. Alpha Mark was among them, talking with beta Oliver and Will. All of them had serious expressions as Oliver gestured animatedly with his hands. Jamie stood there too, her body wrapped around Will's arm like green ivy.

            "Hey Harley." Bailey shifted on her seat and leaned forward, elbows on her knees. It caught her off guard at her sudden somberness. "I know this sounds weird, but you know you can trust me right?" She picked at a thread on her jean shorts. "You can trust all of us."

            Harley frowned. "What makes you say that?" She knew she could trust them. Knew that since the second she arrived. Actually doing it though was another story.

            Bailey's eyes flicked away and back. "I've been watching you tonight. Every once in a while you get this look on your face. It's the same look I see on some of the pack patrollers and hunters—the ones that have gone through battles. Like they've seen more than others. It's a haunted look. Makes me worried."

            Harley schooled her features to cover the surprise she felt. "I'm okay."

            "I know you are." She said, leaning back in her chair. "But that doesn't mean I don't see you pull back."

            Pull back? Was Bailey suggesting Harley was the reason she wouldn't be able to fully connect with other pack members. "I don't pull back."

            "You do though." Bailey said. "And that's okay. I get it." Tan fingers ran through her short hair. "Look, I just really wanted to say...you don't have to pull back with me. I know it's early, and you've really only known me for a couple of days, but you can trust me."

            Harley's eyes softened on the tiny girl. For such a small girl, Harley had already seen her toughness, her bravery, the easy way she socialized. And now, she'd seen her softness. Her kindness. "Thank you."

            Bailey's grin appeared once more. "No problem. We should hang out sometime, darlin'."

            "Sounds like fun."

~

            Later that night, Harley got into some sweats and a tank top and slipped into bed, for once not feeling as quietly alone as she did the night before. Today, she'd made progress. Progress she didn't even know she was making.

            Mom, Dad, I'm actually getting somewhere.

            She fell asleep clutching her butterfly necklace.