"Okay." Harley looked around, the area suddenly confusing to her. "Um, could you point me in the right direction?"

            Jamie rolled her eyes and pointed to her right.

            Harley gave her a nod and headed off towards the direction of the setting sun. "Thanks." She threw over her shoulder.

~

            Something must've gone wrong. The sun had since set and she still hadn't stumbled onto the pack house. Jamie couldn't have pointed her in the wrong direction, right? She was a wolf. She had to know these woods like the back of her hand.

            The girl seemed a bit...less than conversational. But definitely not mean. And they'd just met. There's no way she'd purposefully lead her in the wrong direction. She refused to believe it.

            Night settled in and Harley's nerves began to fry. She was alone. In the forest. At night. It was like every horror movie set brought to life.

            God, why did she decide it was a good idea to go exploring?

            She slowed down, her eyes searching the darkness for any hint of civilization. Instead, the trees pressed in on her and became dancing shadows of pale, crooked bony hands and twisted malnourished torsos.

            Against her control, her chest squeezed tight. She took a deep breath and attempted to fight off the chill seeping through her bloodstream. All the fears and memories of the attack blurred in her mind. Her heart raced faster.

            The darkness plays tricks. She reminded herself. Darkness lies. They're not really there.

            Her breath came out in gasps, her blood pounding in her ears, and she whirled around in a half circle. The pack house had their lights on by now. All she had to do was find it.

            Something near her shifted. Bushes whispered as leaves rubbed together. A breath caught in her throat and tangled there with her heart.

            From the trees, wings rustled as a bird took off.

            Deep breath, Harley. There is not one else in this forest except yourself.

            Her feet took her farther and farther into the distance. She stopped and looked around again. Maybe it was time to switch directions?

            She tried that. Eventually her feet began to ache and she sat down. Her head found her hands. How was she ever going to get out of here?

            Behind her, right behind her, came a soft growl. She jumped, spun, and tripped onto her butt.

            There, from the endless darkness, two yellow-green eyes glowed.

            No.

            Backing up, a whimper escaped her throat. Suddenly, it was like the attack all over again. Thirteen years, but they'd finally come back to finish the job.

            And this time, she didn't have Mathias to protect her.

            Her back hit a tree, trapping her. The bark bit into her skin through her clothes. The wolf, a grey-brown animal with exposed teeth, crept closer.

            This is it. She thought. And all at once she wanted nothing more than to fall to the ground, sobbing. This is how I die.

            The wolf's warm breath fanned in her face. She tilted her head to the side, squeezing her eyes shut. If she was going to die, if this would be her end, she sure as hell didn't want to see it.

            A cold, wet nose touched her cheek. A whine followed. The wolf stepped back.

            What?

            Harley dimly watched as the wolf's form twisted and turned to its other form.

            And then...the distinct outline of a girl stood in front of her. "Harley? Oh, God I'm so sorry. I thought you were an intruder." The girl lifted her hands, palms out in a calming gesture. "Hey, hey I'm sorry." She sat slowly onto the ground, naked as the day she was born. Harley could only tell because her pale skin reflected brightly like the moon.

            Meanwhile, Harley fought back the pressure on her chest and tried to take deep breaths. "Who--?"

            The girl pointed to herself. "Me? I'm Bailey." She flashed straight white teeth. "Alpha's been lookin' for yah."

            Relief seeped slowly through Harley. This girl, Bailey, was with the pack. She'd help her get back. Oh thank God.

            "Good thing I wandered a bit on my patrol tonight, huh?" Bailey glanced around." Did you get lost?"

            Harley swallowed hard. Nodded. "How do you know my name?"

            Bailey smiled kindly, almost sorrowful at the question. "Darlin', everyone around here knows you."

            Before she could even scrape up a reply to that, Bailey stood up. Rather gracefully too. "Come on, let's get you back."

            It was hard, but Harley forced herself to follow a stranger back to safety.

            She avoided the forest for days afterward.