(29)

"Mom this isn't the right place."

We drove into the parking lot of a little field near my house. 

"I know, Colby, but I wanted some pictures of you two looking so nice!" She smiled as Sam and I groaned. Well, I groaned and Sam looked pained. He was too polite to groan about my mom in front of her.

We got out of the car slowly, walking onto the field and waiting for my mom to get out her phone.

"Stand next to each other. No, closer!"

"Smile!"

"Now just Colby."

"Now just Sam! Mrs. Golbach will appreciate it I'm sure."

"Do something goofy!"

We were placed in different positions and different combinations (thank goodness there were only so many combinations possible) until my mom was satisfied. My mom even found some white flowers and gave them to us to hold or stick into our jacket pockets. Finally, we climbed back into the car and drove to the party. 

We were late, thanks to my mom's need to photograph, so it had already started. There was loud music even before we got into the place. Our parents had to sign us up beforehand so we signed in at the front. My mom waved us and told us to be smart, then she watched us until we vanished behind the double doors.

Inside the music was even louder and I thought I might go deaf. I tried shouting to Sam but he could barely hear me and I could barely hear him so we had to speak directly into each other's ears. It was very inconvenient. 

We quickly headed to the white round tables on the one side of the room and grabbed two seats next to a couple purses and a jacket. We glanced back and forth between the food and the dance floor to comvey our meaning, and eventually Sam nodded towards the food. Wise decision, Sam. We walked to the tables of food set out and grabbed some plates. There were chips, popcorn, some pigs in a blanket and meatballs along with assorted deserts like cupcakes and brownies. For beverages there two big kegs, one with punch and the other with water. There was also a couple liters of soda. 

We filled our plates and took them back to our seats to eat. While we are, we people-watched and discussed who looked nice and who looked trashy. 

"I think Devin looks trashy." I said loudly, eyeing him.

"You're only saying that b-because you don't like him." Sam shouted back. 

"That's true, and I'll admit it. Devin looks trashy all the time because he is trash." I sipped my punch while Sam grinned.

"Okay, whatever you say, Colby."

The music finally turned down a little bit and I was able to hear myself think a bit clearer. It also made conversation much much easier, so kudos to whoever bugged the DJ.

"This punch is awful!" I groaned, still drinking it.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure all punch is awful. Water is better."

"That's boring though." I continued drinking my nasty punch.

"Water isn't boring, it's fundamental to your health and st-tability. And why are you still drinking that?" He laughed as I pulled a face of disgust.

"Because I'm lazy and I don't want to go get something else to drink." 

He choked on his water as his laughter burst out of him. I patted his back as he coughed and spluttered.

"Not so fundamental to your health when you're choking on it, huh?" 

He glared at me and rolled his eyes. "You're so dumb," he chuckled.

"Come on, let's go have fun!" I pulled him out of his seat and dragged him onto the dance floor.

He stood there and glanced around nervously. I'd forgotten how much he hated huge crowds. 

I smiled at him and tried to dance in the weirdest way possible, sticking my arms out and moving my hips, doing what (in some distorted way) resembled the chicken dance. He gave me a smile so I added in some crazy faces and crossed my eyes. When I looked back at him he was smiling bigger now, his shoulders shaking with laughter. On an impulse I grabbed his hand and spun him around quickly. He blushed like crazy and I instantly did the same. 

He's not a girl, stupid

I blinked awkwardly and glanced around the room at other people dancing to avoid him. Just as I felt like I was getting particularly good at pretending to be intrigued with someone across the room, I felt Sam's hand slip into mine and he spun me the same way. I looked at him with wide eyes and he only grinned.

"Hey, if you get to I get to!" He winked.

I grinned back. Sam had a way of making everything okay, and I liked that. 

"Hey party poopers!" A voice startled us and we looked over to see Piper making her way to us. 

"Hey Pie. You look nice." She was wearing a dark green floor length dress with a sorta sparkly material around her waist. It was pretty on her.

"Thanks, so do you two! You guys get a seat?" 

"Yeah, right there by the food." I pointed to our table and she nodded.

"Wise decision." She went to go put her stuff next to ours.

"Hey guys, meet in the lounge area for some games!" A guy I vaguely remember seeing around school told us, passing the message to some other people and then heading there himself. 

Sam started following him and I walked behind him slowly. I wasn't so sure about this idea, I had a bad feeling in my stomach. But I'm almost 89.3% sure that was the punch talking, that was really not sitting well with me.

We entered the lounge ad there was already a large amount of people there. They were scattered around the couches, listening to someone in the middle who was talking. I vaguely heard people playing truth or dare as I sat down but I was focusing on the yucky feeling I had in my midsection. I think I must be getting sick. 

"Colby," I heard.

"Colby?" I looked up and Sam was staring at me. "She asked you truth or dare."

I looked around and everyone was staring at me. "Uhh, I don't know..." I gulped. I don't really think either of those choices is a good idea, especially in front of my school. 

"How about we choose for him, since he's not going to pick? How about dare!" Devin said loudly.

Devin? When did he get here?

"Well, Dev, since you're determined to take over my question what is it that you're going to dare him to do?" The girl drawled, clearly annoyed with him. 

Devin got a very evil look on his face, and I wanted nothing more than to smack him right then and there. "Kiss him." He nodded at Sam.

A weight dropped in the pit of my stomach and it sure wasn't helping that I already had a stomach ache. "I think I'm gonna be sick." I gagged and ran to the bathroom, fully expecting to puke and not intending to do it right there in front of everyone. I didn't even have time to think about it, but later I thanked God I had an excuse to leave. 

I was surprised when I didn't throw up, but I stood over the sink for a while anyways. The feeling didn't subside for a couple minutes.

The bathroom door made me turn my head. Sam peeked in and I turned back to the sink.

"You okay?" He asked.

I nodded, chuckling humorlessly. "Don't drink the punch."

(1285)