(22)

I walked up the stairs, glancing back to see Sam following me. He kept his eyes low as he walked. I smiled, seeing that his eyes had dried and he looked less upset. I opened the door to my room and watched his face, ready for a reaction.

His eyes opened wide and the corners of his mouth curved upward. "Woah."

"I did a little decorating..." I said, looking at my shoes, feeling suddenly awkward.

"It's very pretty. I like it." Sam said quietly, walking inside. 

He took a look around and examined each vase of flowers. He gently touched the petals and let them slip through his fingers. 

"I thought if you wanted you could use them..." I said. I felt strange, like a puppy eager to please his favourite person.

He smiled softly. "Thanks." He sat down on my floor so I sat down next to him. "I'm... sorry. For t-trying to push you away."

"Don't be sorry, you were only trying to protect me. And I really appreciate that, Sam," I said earnestly, wanting to reach out and touch him in some way to comfort him. I wanted to hold his hand, make sure he knew how much I cared. I didn't.

I hesitated.

"Sam.... I know something's troubling you." 

He gulped. "I know."

I put my hand on his shoulder, not resisting the urge to comfort him this time. "You can tell me, Sam. You can trust me with anything."

He closed his eyes. "I know. It's just..."

"Just what?"

"There's nothing you c-can do about it. So why stress you for no reason?"

I moved my hand closer to the soft spot on his shoulder and squeezed comfortingly. "I can be here for you, that's something, right?"

He blinked slowly. "Y-yeah."

It seemed like forever to me that we sat there, but it was likely only a little while. Eventually, I heard Sam inhale sharply and his shoulders jerked almost undetectably.

I looked back up at him and I could just tell that there were fountains behind his eyes. I immediately scooted up to him and enveloped him in a hug and he just lost it. He buried his head in my shoulder, sobbing as if he'd been holding back tears for far too long. I just patted his back, letting him let go. It took him a while to regain enough composure to talk to me, so I just held him tightly.

"It's my b-brother." He shook. "H-He's got a girlfriend." 

He pulled back from me and I gave him a confused look. "Isn't... wouldn't that be a good thing?"

He shook his head, wiping his tears with his sleeves. "She's not a g-good person. She's changing him, he's doing bad stuff and I c-can't do anything to help him or make him g-get rid of her." He shuddered. "When you're worried about someone you love, it's just so hard to think of anything else."

I nodded understandingly, thinking about Sam and how badly it hurt me whenever he got hurt. I blinked at the thought.

"I just don't know what to do. We t-told him she was bad, he d-doesn't care." 

"It's not your fault, Sam. Your brother will realize it soon, I'm sure. It'll all come out alright in the end." 

He closed his eyes and gave a little worried smile. "Thanks C-Colby. I needed to hear that." 

He looked like he was struggling with an idea, and then he gave in and hugged me tightly. I smiled.

"Whatever happens, I'm here for you. Okay?"

"Okay."

(595)