(26)

(Back to Colby's pov)

After wallowing in self-pity for a while, I got up out to leave the hedge. I heard people start to come out of school. As I was about to peek out, someone's body slammed straight into mine, knocking me back into the bushes. The person who hit me let out a muffled groan of pain and I looked to see who it was. 

"Sam?"

He let out a startled cry and jumped up, cringing and grabbing his side as he did so.

"What happened?" I said, concerned as I saw how disheveled and red-faced he looked.

"I'm, um, I'm fine." He stuttered.

"No you're not." I got up and caught his arm to look.

He shrunk back and tried weakly to pull away. I pulled up his sleeve and saw bruises forming. 

"Sam! Who did that?" 

"J-just... no one." His gaze darted around, he looked as if he was ready to flee at any moment.

"Hey hey, calm down. You're safe." I pulled him away from the crowd and farther behind the hedge.

He calmed down considerably once he realized we were away from the bustle. I sat just patting his shoulder while he backed up against the wall farthest from the school doors. I thought about what could have possibly happened. It had to be Devin. Devin and his stupid bullying, his obsession with ruining my life. The video, Sam must have seen the video!

We both remembered this fact at the same moment, suddenly pulling away. Sam looking startled and I, embarrassed. Of course, he's probably disgusted. The gay kid who has a crush on the straight kid. Probably definitely gross to him.

"Um, sorry; that you probably saw the video." I turned a deep shade of crimson and blinked.

"N-no, actually Piper told me."

I frowned and almost growled, "Piper?"

"Oh no no, it's better that I heard from her r-rather than any other dimwit, I was bound to hear about it somehow." 

I tilted my head, I guess he's right. "So.... sorry. You don't have to, uh, hang out with me anymore." 

"No! Um, no. Colby, you're awesome and I would never ditch you for that. Trust me, I'm perfectly fine with it." 

"You're not disgusted, or weirded out?" 

"No, quite opposite actually."

How many times I wish I'd asked what he meant, I may never know.

I smiled a little. "O-oh. Okay."

"Are you going home right now? And d-do you maybe wanna walk me there?" Sam asked, grinning.

"Yeah! Yeah, I'll walk you." 

(424)