A Soldiers Return

Start from the beginning

"Something is definitely on her mind." he replied as they watched her walk back in, take a few steps towards them, before slowly turning and leaving again.  

"She's acting like a drunk pendulum.  If she's not bouncing in and out of here, she's in and out of the main entrance" he said looking at the Empress who had a very soft smile on her face.

"Bai Zhi.  How does a pendulum get drunk?' she asked before giggling girlishly which had Bai Zhen chuckling softly.  

"Don't be cheeky.  You know what I meant." he said becoming distracted as his daughter once again entered the room again.

"Xiao Wu!" he snapped before she could turn around and walk out again.

Jumping, she stumbled forward having been ripped from her thoughts too quickly while looking up at him blankly.

"Father?" she looked at him wide eyed and a little stunned as if she had been unaware of their presence until then.

Feeling guilty for snapping at her, he lowered his tone.  "Is something bothering you?  You seem a little distracted" he said a little more gently and earning a scoff from Bai Zhen.

"That's an understatement." he whispered to his mother who kept a straight face, but her eyes glued on her daughter.

"Uhh... no father." she said staring at him stupidly.

"Well it's just that you seem to have something on your mind my dear.  Why not tell us about it, maybe we can help." her mother said softly which instantly put a deep blush on her cheeks.

"Nothing is wrong Mother, I'm just..." she trailed off before turning towards the entrance.

  It was clearly obvious to them all that something was definitely bothering her, but seeing as she was in no mind to share it, Bai Zhi rose to move towards her.  "Why not go for a walk at the Grove, you're making us all dizzy." he said smiling at her.

"But...." she said as her eyes remained on the entrance.

"No buts.  A walk in the Grove always clears your head.  In fact you haven't left the den in two weeks." he said gently guiding her towards the exit.

Perhaps a walk would do her good.  The anticipation of his visit was rubbing her nerves raw, she thought to herself, and bouncing about the den was not going to make him come to her any quicker.

But turning to her father, she took a deep breath before lowering her head shyly, a sight he had never seen from her before.  "Father, if I get a visitor, would you please send him to the Grove." she said softly before blushing profusely.

Narrowing his eyes at her, Bai Zhi finally clicked.  'Him?" he asked putting on a stern face, but ecstatic.  If she had found a man she liked then maybe a wedding was finally on the horizon.

"A friend father." she explained quickly, not wanting to put any unnecessary thoughts into his head.

But he knew better.  "Alright Xiao Wu. But do go out for a while, it will calm that distracted mind of yours." he said before dragging her in for an embrace.

Now embarrassed and not wanting to linger any longer, she left in a cloud of white smoke leaving her father grinning at her back before racing back into the den to share his suspicions.

___________________________

Entering the outskirts of Qing Qiu, Mo Yuan was just in time to see her disappear.  Positive Bai Zhi had not seen him, he quickly turned around and followed at a distance behind her.  Though once they hit the edge of Qing Qius borders and headed west, he knew where she was going, and being a High God, he had the ability to move a lot quicker, so speeding up, he not only took his cloud higher, he raced ahead.