Two Sides [S2:E10]

Start from the beginning

I took her head between my hands. "Sam... I'm not upset."

Her bloodshot eyes looked up.

"I'm upset you bottled everything up and kept it from me," I revealed. "And I'm upset you didn't tell me about Nikki saying that stuff."

She exhaled a deep breath.

"I don't care that you took a hit," I continued. "I just don't want you running to things like that when you're in pain, considering your past."

Sam nodded, understanding what I was truly upset about. She needed to know that she didn't have to be scared to come to me about things like this. She needed to know that I wasn't going to leave her, and I had a feeling that's where her insecurities were stemming from.

"What are you afraid of?" I whispered.

She flexed her jaw and pulled away from me.

"You leaving me," she revealed. "Nikki being back. Nikki finding other ways to cause tension between us..."

"Stop worrying about Nikki," I demanded. "She has nothing to do with this relationship."

I realized that's not what she needed to hear by her reaction. She just leaned back into the couch numbly.

"I'm not going anywhere, Sam." I moved closer. "Do you hear me? I'm in love with you. And we are going to be fine. But I need you to trust me enough to be open with me about what you're feeling."

She finally looked at me like she believed what I was saying. I felt my heart sigh in relief.

Sometimes, Sam needed more reassurance. Sometimes, her anxiety got to her, and her past resurfaced. Sometimes, she couldn't control it.

That's when I had to step in and reassure her everything was fine. I didn't mind doing it, but I needed to know what she needed from me in order to do my job, and I couldn't do that if she didn't tell me.

I pulled her into me, hoping that she could feel the love I had for her. Life was getting hectic, and the semester was keeping me away from her more than usual. I knew all of this, on top of Nikki showing up, was probably getting to her. Along with the whole Mariah situation.

I still wasn't sure how I felt about that girl...

But for now, we were fine, as long as Sam stayed honest with me.

And as long as Nikki stayed the hell away from my girlfriend.

~ ~ ~

A few days passed after the whole incident for St. Patrick's Day, and everything seemed like it was back to normal. Sam and I were fine, she promised to stay honest and open with me, and I agreed to do the same. Everything seemed alright, and I was grateful.

I was currently walking through the Business department to drop off some paperwork since I was still working for the University. I was aware there was a chance I could run into Nikki here, considering this is the building she taught in. But did I want to see her?

And then, as predicted, I spotted Nikki down the hall.

A part of me wanted to turn around and avoid her, but another wanted to ask her why the hell she had told Sam those things. She had really messed with her head, and I needed her to know I wasn't okay with that.

I approached her, watching the student she was talking to walk away. Her eyes caught mine, but I kept a stern expression.

"Hey Meg-"

"Why the hell did you tell Sam those things the other night at Jinx?" I interrupted.

Her face fell, but she tried her best to play it off. If she really thought I was here to have small talk, she was sadly mistaken.

"Am I supposed to let your girlfriend talk to me like I'm subhuman?" she retorted. "Because if you're expecting me to let her to bully me simply because I'm your ex, you're wrong."

I narrowed my eyes. "Sam didn't bully you."

"Yeah? Is that what she told you?"

Just for a moment did I hesitate. Had Sam said something to Nikki to cause her to reciprocate something even harsher? Sam hadn't told me the entirety of what had gone down. She just told me the main points.

No. I would take my girlfriend's side in this, because I believed her. Nikki was manipulative. I knew that first hand.

"Just stay away from her," I finished.

But when I turned, Nikki called out.

"I'm not gonna hide," she said.

I turned around. "It's not about hiding¸ Nikki. It's about respect."

"Respect?" She laughed. "Listen, Megan. I live here. Just like you and just like Sam. I'm not gonna avoid the only LGBT bar in this city because your girlfriend owns it."

"Owns-?" I stopped myself, realizing Nikki still thought that Sam had half the ownership of Jinx. If I told Nikki Sam didn't partially own Jinx, she would surely throw that to her face as well. I decided to let it go.

"I'm not telling you to avoid it," I finished. "Just avoid her."

"It's not like I haven't been."

I turned away and replayed the conversation in my head. There were holes in this story, and I didn't want to believe Nikki over my girlfriend, but I knew how Sam was. She was a hot head, which she demonstrated this past weekend. And I knew she definitely could've said something to set Nikki off. I just didn't know what.

I just hoped we could survive the next few months until we could get the hell away from Columbia.

And hopefully all the drama.

***A/N***

Things seem to be getting sticky for Segan now that Nikki is around! Anyways, thank you all for reading. You guys are fantastic, and I love you all very much. I'll miss you all next week, but I'll be back! Hopefully with more ideas and content!

Please Vote and Comment if you enjoyed this update!

Much love,

Lauryn