1.11

1.11 back from the future

We are getting ready for a mission

We are getting ready for a mission. I'm at my desk finishing loading the schematics for this mission of Chase's chip.

I get up as Dad walks in, "Okay, your mission supplies are packed,"

I then say, "The schematics have been uploaded into Chase's chip."

Then Dad completes, "And your transport is on the way. Did I forget anything?"

We didn't even tell them the mission. "No, we'll just guess what the mission is and see how it all plays out," Bree says.

"All right. A particle collider is a three-mile long underground facility where scientists--" Dad starts to explain when

Chase interrupts him. "Race subatomic particles at each other at light speed for energy experiments. So cool!" He says giggling.

"I know!" Dad says and they do this weird handshake. I smile at the whole exchange.

"There is a particle collider in Berkeley that is accelerating out of control, and your mission is to shut it down," I tell them.

"Oh ho! Awesome! I hope one of us knows how to do that," Adam says.

"Okay. We have to act quickly. The scientists that operate the facility--" Dad says. He looks at me and I nod.

"Scuuuuse me--" I tell Leo as I pull up a visual representation of what would happen if the mission failed.

"--have already evacuated the control center, and if we don't shut it down in time, it will create a massive black hole that will implode the entire planet," Dad finishes.

"Today?! No, that's not gonna work. Today is Shelly Evans' birthday, and her mom makes the best cupcakes! I'm just sayin'. That woman doesn't skimp on the sprinkles," Leo argues.

"Don't worry, Leo, you will get your cupcakes. Adam, Bree and Chase have all the training they need to shut the collider down," Dad says.

"I don't know, Big D. I think these guys are gonna need some... back-up!" Leo says, pulling me along with him.

"Yeah, and that's why you're gonna be back-up! here in the lab with me," Dad says.

"Oh, he said "backup" and you said "backup." Saying things twice makes it funny! Oh! Saying things twice makes it fun--" Adam says only to be interrupted by Dad,