1.7

1.7 smart and smarter

Me, Bree, and Adam walk into school

Me, Bree, and Adam walk into school. Adam opens his locker and says, "Check out what I've done with my locker! Tah-dah! Here's where I keep my books. Down here I keep random strands of hair I've collected to make fake mustaches. And here is where I stockpile old lunches, or, as I like to call it, my tum-tum yum-yums." I nod, slightly weirded out.

"Hey, Leo. What's that?" Bree asks.

"My progress report. I can't believe my science teacher says I'm always late to class," Leo says and I take out my progress report. I haven't read it yet.

"Well, you are always late to class," Adam says and I nod.

"I know that, but I don't need it publicized," Leo said.

"Look at this! An "A-minus"! I knew my Home Ec teacher had it out for me. Always criticizing my muffins," Chase says walking in.

I put my report card in Chase's hands, "Ooh! Would you look at that! All A-pluses. I beat you losers," I say.

"We know your smarter than us," Leo says. "And the teachers love you. It's not fair." He crosses his arms.

"Ha ha! I beat you! I got a "D-plus"! "Plus" because I'm better!" Adam says and I face palm.

"Adam, the "plus" is-- You know what? It's just not even worth it anymore," Bree says and I nod.

Chase then says, "D" is not a good grade, but we don't really expect you to get good grades. I'm engineered to be the smartest person on the planet, and I just got an "A-minus." I've been relegated to into the huddled, unwashed masses of minuses, like you!" I cough. "Oh! Except Kat. She got a better grade than me." That last part was really hard for him to say to me.

"Chase, I know this must me hard for you, but, I mean, look at the bright side-- seeing you fall flat on your face is really fun for us!" Bree says.

"I have got to find a way to reclaim my superiority," He says.

"Well, you could sign up for the Student of the Semester competition," I say. "Nick and I would always win, but we're not competing anymore so.. you can do it." Okay, so you couldn't actually compete in a group but Perry let us do it together.

"What's that?" He asks.

"Every semester, kids compete to see who can best improve the school. Whoever gets the most votes wins free pencils, a bumper sticker, and a cheesy picture of himself on the wall!" Leo says.