sergeant barnes pt 2 (bucky)

this second part takes place in 1943 literally right after steve rescues bucky & the 107th from hydra. envision the beginning of the scene where steve talks to bucky at a bar (before peggy's milkshake brings all those boys to the yard).

__

"See, told you! They're all idiots," Bucky says to Steve as he sits beside him at the bar.

"How about you? You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death,"

"Hell no,"

Bucky picks up his glass and takes in all the beer he can in one gulp. Putting down the glass, he stares forward intensely, the mood changing slowly.

"Have you heard from her?" Bucky says quietly following a brief pause.

Steve turns his head and looks forward before sighing.

"Not since I enlisted,"

This caused Bucky to slam his glass down as an expression of both anger and deep sadness.

"She's all alone. Probably thinks I'm dead,"

Steve looks over at Bucky as he tries so hard not to let a single tear from his eye. Ultimately he fails as he goes to speak up again.

"We were gonna love each other until the end of time. I don't even know if she loves me at all now,"

At that thought a single tear falls as his eyes refuse to blink but stare blankly ahead. Bucky was completely numb. Steve could see clear as day that his best friend was drowning. Bucky's gone. Someone else is here now.

"You need her. Don't you?"

The side of Bucky's lips curl up for a brief moment before his expression goes back to the solemnity it had previously.

"More than I'll ever understand,"

"Well then it's settled, you're going home for a while Buck,"

___

Your eyes pop open as you wake up covered in sweat. For the past few weeks you've been having the same dream about Bucky coming home and even though no one came knocking at your door yet, you were almost certain Bucky had either found some other girl or died. He hadn't responded to your letters in a while and not one of your neighbors in your apartment building hadn't lost someone. The family living across from you lost their eldest son, the woman above you lost her brother, it was only fair of you assume the worst and move on but that process is not as simple as it could be.

The first week after you heard the news of all the deaths, you panicked but found comfort in receiving a letter from Bucky. It was the last letter he sent but it lasted you up until now. Now you were miserable. All you do now is go to work, come home, and try to make yourself fall asleep so you can feel like Bucky's still there. You spent a lot of your time in your memories these days. Reminiscing on the times you spent with Bucky in your youth. You had been the three musketeers along with Steve who enlisted somehow. To you, it all seems like lifetimes ago.

You decide it's time to get up for the day and as much as you don't want to, you realize how much of a choice you don't have. The day goes by slower than ever and to top it off, it rained. You count down the hours until you can leave. Your latest job as a secretary of an architectural firm wasn't the most exciting of jobs. It's finally the end of the day and you practically sprint home to keep up with your routine of laying flat on your back trying to remember Bucky. Each day you remember less and less about him and it's morbidly terrifying. Finally arriving at the apartment, you tussle with your keys before opening the door. You feel the weight of every single emotion imaginable when you see who awaits behind the door.

"Steve?" you ask completely dumbfounded.

"What are you doing here? W-where's Bucky?"

A much larger, more buff Steve smiles smugly.

"I'll let you see for yourself,"

Steve steps aside and your eyes finally meet with damaged but beautiful blue eyes. The ones your heart belongs to.

"B-bucky," you breathe nervously hoping it truly is him.

"How are you doll," he says with a small and quick smile.

You look deeper in his eyes and in that moment you knew this was real. Bucky is alive. You waste no more time away from him as you let yourself fall into his arms. He holds you close to him. With one arm wrapped around your waist, his other hand smoothing down your hair, tears of the most pure happiness spill from your eyes. Your arms thrown around his neck, you cry into his shoulder with your eyes squeezed shut. You lift your head to kiss him and after so long, Bucky finally feels like he's home. You pull away from each other just enough to look into each other's eyes to find not a single thing changed between you two and after months of dreaming of this moment, Bucky and you are finally at peace, at home, and safely in each other's arms.

___

"Mmm just like I remember it," Bucky breathes as you both attempt to catch your breath.

You can practically hear the smug look he has on his face as he turns to look at you. You face him with a grin as he winks at you giggling.

"What do you say we go again?" He leans closer to your ear to whisper, his bedroom voice making your knees incredibly weak.

You hesitate just to keep him on edge even though you already knew where you'd end up in the next few moments. He leans even closer and begins pressing his lips to your jawline, neck, and shoulders before you break. Mainly because he's turning you on so badly.

"Get over here," you can barely finish before his lips are on yours.

The two of you go at it at least two more times  between then and the time the two of you head out to breakfast. You simply could not resist each other. You were practically magnets.

After leaving a diner in Manhattan, you stroll around Central Park for a while laughing and continuing to catch up. In the few days he's been back the two of you have been doing a lot of that. Just being in the presence of one another was all you'd needed.

"Beautiful day isn't it," Bucky says as you stroll over a small bridge, one hand in yours and the other in his pocket

You look over at him and smile before chuckling.

"It sure is Sergeant Barnes,"