"How is Nal supposed to bring the missing parts onto the Gen?" Dalek asked.

"The choices are limited. I think he'll choose to do what I'm choosing. Do it himself. He'll pose as an OT worker and try to get the parts aboard."

"Holy crap, this will fail."

"The chances for success are minimal, yes."

"What if they catch Nal alive? He'll compromise you."

"He doesn't know who I am."

"Does the RSW know that there's an Angel?"

"Of course it does."

"You're fucking crazy, Doc. How can anybody in his or her right mind enjoy a life like that?"

"Adrenalin is like a drug, Dalek."

"Well, it's not what I get off on."

The Angel chuckled viciously.

"Why are you doing all this, Doc? What has the RSW done to you?"

"They are worse than the Inquisition ever was, as their immortality plans prove. I found that out when I was in my mid-twenties."

"What happened?"

"They killed someone I loved."

"Who?"

"None of your business, Dalek."

CHAPTER 24

TAILA WENT TO school and then returned home to the apartment where she had grown up. She found it completely impossible to concentrate on her schoolwork that day. A decision formed inside her and she steeled her resolve for the confrontation with her parents.

To keep quiet during dinner was ridiculously difficult, but Nal insisted on discipline and they didn't discuss the OT issue while eating. Yes, her parents were amazing. Well, they had twenty years of practice in talking about mundane things during common meals and yet, their minds seemed to be made of steel during dinner. After the last bite was eaten, Taila couldn't hold back anymore.

"Mom, Dad, I'll get those parts onto the OT's transport cabin. Let me pretend to be that OT worker."

Nal scoffed. "Most certainly not, Taila."

"Stop protecting me, Dad. I know the least of the FTS operations. If they catch me, fine, I can tell them about you and mom, but that's it. I suppose Faliz is a false name too. I know the names of Ennie and Gus, but those two are dead. I know the name Sirid, he's gone. But that's it. I know nothing of FTS headquarter stuff and so forth. It's much too risky if mom or you did this and got caught."

"That may be so, Taila, but no way, absolutely not. You will not pose as an OT worker."

Her father's face was as red as a tomato and his whole body tense.

"Dad, Ennie and Gus and presumably a ton of other people died for this operation already. If I do this, the risk will be minimum. From a logical point of view, you cannot deny that I'm the best solution."

"I don't give a shit about logic. I won't allow you to sacrifice yourself for something you haven't chosen for yourself."

"Your father is right, honey," Meilo said, very pale around the nose in contrast to her crimson father. "This is not your fight, it's ours, and we'll finish it. I'll do it, because I know less than Nal."

"Neither of you will do it, I will," Nal said.

"Mom, Dad, this is absurd. I represent the least risk for the cause, you have to go for the highest chance of success and that's me, you have to go for minimizing risk and that's me. You cannot let your personal feelings or parental instincts interfere with the mission."