Chapter 6

NAL GHANIK MASSAGED his eyelids as he sat opposite Meilo in the small office of their apartment.

"Damn, I'll only be able to calm down when Sirid is back from his shift, calls me and tells me nobody noticed anything."

"He'll be up there for six days. You should try to calm down before that." There was a hint of ridicule in Meilo's voice.

He took it lightly and smirked at her.

"Taila will be home soon," Meilo said. "I'll make dinner."

"Let me help you," he said and they went into the kitchen.

Taila worked at a café in the RSW housing complex three afternoons a week, other than that she was in her university preparation year, studying at Hagesh's community college.

She greeted her parents with kisses on the cheeks when she came home and they soon sat at the dinner table.

"The guests in the café are talking about nothing but this Ganes Trufft thing."

Nal perked up. "What do they say?"

"Half of the guests don't believe the story. They say it must be a cover up for something else."

"Really. Why do they believe that?"

"Oh, come on, Dad, a Virtual-drama worthy love-crime on board the Gen? They're trying to cover up some FTS stuff for sure."

Meilo and Nal exchanged quick glances.

"Like what?" Nal asked.

"Like they executed two FTS spies and blame that on the third spy, Ganes. Who's now enjoying torture in the local prison three kiloclims away."

"The State of Aran doesn't torture," Nal said.

"Oh, come on, Dad, sure it does. Inquisition with another name, that's all they are."

"Wow, since when have you become so anti-government?" Meilo asked.

"Since I met this guy..." Taila grinned broadly at her parents. "And speaking of him, I'd like to go out now. I'll be back by midnight, I promise."

"Whoa, new boyfriend?" Nal asked.

His daughter grinned mischievously at him. "Maybe. He's super cute."

"Will you tell us his name?" Meilo asked.

"Not yet. I wanna test him first."

"Test, like in, testing how he's in bed?" Nal asked.

Taila giggled.

"You're on the pill?"

"Yes, Dad."

"Condoms?"

"Yes, Dad, I'm not stupid."

"I never said you were. You can bring him here anytime."

"Dad, please, I'm not gonna make love to a man in my room while you and mom are sitting in the living room next door."

"Why? Your mother and I are making love with you sleeping in your room next door."

"That's different."

"Is it?"

"You're my parents."

"So?"

Taila drank the rest of her juice, then got up.

"Where will you meet this guy, backseat of your car?"