Chapter 20

DALEK MADREW, NOW Solin Merka, received no other marching orders than to move his big ass to Hagesh. Therefore, he had nothing to do but enjoy his new life. He worked out three hours a day in the hotel's gym, one hour after breakfast, lunch and dinner each. He could already see and feel a change... or maybe he was only getting used to his new body.

Dalek did tourist stuff. He went to the OT and its museum and even bought a tiny Gen model. On another day, he went to a viewing platform up a hill outside of Hagesh, which presented the best view of the OT and the town. He stood there, snapped photos with a newly bought camera, and asked an elderly lady to snap photos of him with the OT in the hazy background.

His greatest joy was to rent a soundproof party room in the hotel and sing at full throttle. Kifes had an awesome voice. Full, deep, and, in contrast to the Dalek of old, Kifes was able to hit the right notes.

Dalek hopped and danced around to his favorite songs, streamed into the room via a Virtual adapter, and sang until his throat felt scratchy. He didn't mind and sang on, until a strange beep, which seemed to generate within his ear, disturbed the music. Although he heard that beep for the first time, he knew what it was. His breath stopped for a moment. The music in the room felt suddenly horribly loud. His guts rumbled. A lump of fear formed in his chest. He ordered the music to stop, then tentatively subvocalized a "Yes?"

"Hello, Dalek," an all too familiar voice rang in his ears. Dalek sought support on a sofa's rim, slowly sinking into it. He learned to hate this woman during the past year and three months. This woman caused him unspeakable pain. And yet, god-like, this woman also gave him a new life. In a way, she was his new mother.

"Hi, Doc."

"Where are you at the moment?"

"In my hotel."

"Your room?"

"No, a soundproof party room. In contrast to my old body, my new one has a great voice. I'm singing for an hour or two every day."

"Glad to hear that you're enjoying your new self."

Lariv's tone dripped with sarcasm.

"Are you alone?" Lariv asked when Dalek didn't comment that.

"Yes. It didn't seem appropriate to make new friends... not knowing how long I'll stay here and all."

"Good."

"Where are you, Doc?"

"That doesn't matter. I have a job for you, Dalek."

If he hadn't been sitting, he would've collapsed. He had known there would be a price to pay, but just how bad and how soon? He was surprised at how great his fear was. His sweaty fingers trembled. He placed them onto his big thighs to steady them.

"I figured you would."

✜✜✜

Nal Ghanik sat at the dinner table with Meilo and Taila when someone pinged him via encoded Virtual. He jumped. Hell, he liked the hand-held communicators so much better.

"What's wrong, Dad?" Taila asked.

"Virtual."

Meilo smiled, shaking her head about his Virtual behavior. Nal subvocalized his encoded message acceptance.

"Yes?"

"Nal?" the panicked voice of Ennie Darias said. A sting of fear shot through his body like laser fire. "I blew it!" Ennie burst into tears.

"Calm down, Ennie, what happened, where are you?"

Nal said that aloud and Meilo froze. Taila didn't know about Ennie, but her gaze darted from her mother to her father and she seemed to understand what this was about.