Chapter 25

ON THE 30th DAY of the Summer Cros, a Day of Worship, Nal rode out into the jungle to meet Faliz Tinna with a weird feeling in his stomach. It was quite possible that this would be the last trip into the jungle. He'd receive all missing parts that day, no reason to come here again. He wouldn't miss that part of his life in Hagesh, but he would miss Faliz, badly.

Nal patiently waited at the meeting coordinates in the smoldering heat watching a big colorful bird watching him from atop a dead, naked tree that still poked its skeleton defiantly towards the sky. The bird eyed him for a while, then turned around and shitted down the tree.

"Likewise, bro," Nal said. Another car approached and with a hoarse croak the bird flew away. Faliz Tinna left his vehicle and approached Nal with a plastic bag in his hand and a broad if sad and wistful smile on his face.

"So good to see you, Nal."

"Same to you, Faliz."

They embraced each other and patted each other's backs for a long time.

"This is it." Faliz released Nal and offered him the plastic bag.

Nal glanced inside. It contained five brown little paper bags, which doubtlessly contained the five missing parts, and an envelope. Nal fished out the envelope.

"Was it hard to get the final parts?"

"No, they were more or less ready it seems. But it was hard to get a replacement for the part that Ennie lost. I got that one only this morning."

"Lucky us."

"Yeah."

Nal looked inside the envelope. It contained an ID card and another two tiny plastic bags.

"ID, colored contact lenses for the retina scan and a finger glove for the finger prints."

"Awesome, great work, Faliz."

"I'm only the messenger, I received that stuff last night with greetings from Kurie. Who'll pose as the OT worker, you or Meilo?"

"The less you know, the better."

"True. This is pretty crazy though, I'm worried."

"Yes, it's desperate, and that's why I want you to leave Hagesh tonight. Your job is done. Go back to Kurie."

"Oh, come on! I can't leave you alone with this."

"You can, you should, and you must. Get out, save yourself. You've done enough. Too many people have died for this already. Get out, Faliz, I mean it."

"What if you need help to get out yourself? I could be there for support, I--"

"No, it's okay. If you really want to help me, then save yourself so I don't have to worry about you. I know your real name. If they catch me alive, they'll get it out of me. Leave, Faliz, for me. Your job is done. You did great work. And hopefully, one day, in the not too far future, we'll be having drinks in a bar in Elongis."

Nal squeezed Faliz's arm. The inconspicuous man, whom nobody ever remembered, stared back at him like a lovesick dog.

"Holy Tral, it seems so weird that this day has finally come," Faliz said. "It's almost done... one way or the other. How many years did we work for this day?"

"I don't want to count. Thank you, for everything. And let's meet again in Kurie."

"Oh shit, man, I..."

Nal embraced him and squeezed him. "Leave tonight, Faliz, do me that favor, leave tonight."

"I will. Good luck, Nal, and thank you, too. It's been an honor working with you. I wish you all the luck in the world."